The Discworld (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
The other threads are quite old, so here's a new one.

In December Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, a live-action television adaptation of the Hogfather novel, will be released on dvd in a region 4 format. Given that it seems unlikley that it will be screened here in Australia on free-to-air tv, I thought that I'd make note of the release here rather than in the tv sub-forum.

Oh, the new novel, Making Money, was released late last month. Though it is only his second appearance, as far as I'm concerned the Moist von Lipwig character already seems stale.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I find Moist to be fresher than Sam Vimes of late. I read Thud! recently and hated it; it was nowhere near as good as the early Vimes entries.

walrusbear

HSC
i haven't read either von lipwig books yet, but he looks dull.

enough sam vimes too
bring back rincewind, dammit!

J

jhakka

The only Rincewind book I read was The Colour of Magic and I thought it was a bit below par. But then again, it was the first Discworld book, so maybe that's forgivable.

I've read Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies, as well as Reaper Man. The first Witches book was very funny, and the second not so good, but those characters had a lot of promise. I absolutely love Death as a character, so I'm hoping that Hogfather will be good.

mountainman

HSC
I love all the discworld novels, I even used "The Truth" as my related text for "telling the truth" in english as it tied in so well with Frontline (this is the one with William DeWorde setting up the Ankh Morpork times paper).
My favourites would have to be the city watch ones with Vimes etc then probably the Unseen university ones.
Pratchett is very clever, one of the best social critics around in my opinion. I'll keep an eye out for the Hogfather DVD. From memory I think the book was quite good but I can't remeber for sure...

mountainman

HSC
I love all the discworld novels, I even used "The Truth" as my related text for "telling the truth" in english as it tied in so well with Frontline (this is the one with William DeWorde setting up the Ankh Morpork times paper).
My favourites would have to be the city watch ones with Vimes etc then probably the Unseen university ones.
Pratchett is very clever, one of the best social critics around in my opinion. I'll keep an eye out for the Hogfather DVD. From memory I think the book was quite good but I can't remeber for sure...

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
ive got a soft spot for guards guards. and i found moist von lipwig rather amusing. needs more Hrun the Barbarian

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lol i loved moist in going postal. i haven't read making money yet, but i intend to. if i had to pick a favourite book overall it would be either witches abroad (i love nanny ogg <3) or carpe jugulum. i have a soft spot for the witches 'arc' for lack of a better word. also <3 rincewind, 'interesting times' was awesome.

HSC
I've only recently discovered Discworld with Thud! and Going Postal, sounds like I definitely need to read some earlier stuff if it's even better.

Chris.

HSC
Is "The Carpet People" apart of the Discworld novels?

Its the only Terry Pratchett book ive ever read and it was pretty good. Good imaginative use of people living in the carpet lol

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
oh yeah '12 and a half percent'

tell me someone else got that joke?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The Truth was the first Discworld novel I read and is one of my all-time favourite books.

I also liked the one where they have the time monks and the two time twins.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
cuppas said:
oh yeah '12 and a half percent'

tell me someone else got that joke?
12.5% is one eighth. It's just Pratchett's absurd way of saying "pieces of eight" because one eighth is a piece and Reacher Gilt is a pirate (of sorts).

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Love Moist, but I'm still trying to hunt down Making Money at the library. Damn you Terry Pratchett - I'm trying to save money?

Small Gods is still the best Discworld ever written, easily.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I'm currently quite a way through The Fifth Elephant and while it'd funnier than some of the later Sam Vimes books, I have to say I'm getting sick of the character. He started off well but as the books bcame more political, he started becoming ver one dimensional.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I've got Alzheimer's: Terry Pratchett

Pratchett said he would complete Nation and that he had already begun working on Unseen Academicals - another writing project.
Unseen Academicals, a tale that should involve Rincewind and the Luggage... Such a tale woud be a fitting end to the series, but here's to hoping that Mr Pratchett continues to be well for as long as possible (for the sake of the man and the not the series, but I wouldn't exactly complain if another novel or two followed Unseen Academicals).

walrusbear

HSC
this was sad news

it would be nice if that book is indeed rincewind. it has been his best set of novels (bar Death)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Hogfather on 7 in 15 minutes yay!

I didn't seem to work that well in the animated series that was on ABC a few years back, hopefully this is a winner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)