The different sections of maths! (1 Viewer)

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
I was thinking the other day, maths has only a few areas, well albeit each area of maths is massive, but maths can be separated into a few different types:

Geometry
Number Theory
Discrete Mathematics
Statistics & Probablity
Analysis.

Now am I missing anything? Oh and to make it discussion worthy, what would be your favourite section of maths? Personally I love Analysis, even if I have only just scraped the surface of what it offers, I am already finding it very very interesting. And yes I am well aware there are things which overlap like analytical geometry, but I am being broad. Anyways, discuss?

OmegaSTealth

HSC
I think you've covered them all.
Personally, my fave is complex analysis, which I've looked into during the past year and will probably be the downfall of my UAI lol. It's abstract ideas as well as its intriguing methods, as well as its elegant symbols just scream at me to be investigated further.

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
i wish i could've spent more time investigating things about complex analysis too, alas, I had to study, but yeh, it seems to be really interesting too, as does calculus of several varaibles.

turtle_2468

HSC
I guess the main thing you missed there was algebra. This involves group theory, rings and stuff like that with elegant symbols and almost no real numbers... :) well, parts of it can do that anyway.

And, if you put in stats as a subsection of mathematics, you should probably include applied...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
My personal favourite is mathematical computing, thats what I aim to get into with my Comp science/pure maths combined degree. I also love several variable calculus, from the little ive done of it, it seems to be the most interesting to me.

Last edited:

casebash

HSC
Game theory, functional equations and computational theory.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
Stefano said:
I like fractions. :D
Nah, but seriously, Quantum theory is sweet. Quantum Mechanics would have to be on my hobby list. Read a book called: 'Dancing Wu-Li Masters' (not 100% about that spelling). I just love that new physics and the way it co-operates with mathematics so elegantly. Beauty.

Example; If a basketball is bounced against a wall it has a [very small] chance of going through the wall entirely! - fact!

Antwan23q

God
HSC
ahh ive got that, i havent read it yet. just been readin elegant universe and that. i might read it now

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
turtle_2468 said:
I guess the main thing you missed there was algebra. This involves group theory, rings and stuff like that with elegant symbols and almost no real numbers... :) well, parts of it can do that anyway.

And, if you put in stats as a subsection of mathematics, you should probably include applied...
wouldn't that be kinda included in number theory? as that includes arithmetic, etc. And as for buchanan's post, most of those things can be considered subsections of the things I posted. I didn't read through all of it. But i did catch a glimpse of things like Differential Equations which i would definately classify as part of analysis, hell Britannica agrees with me.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
I have my own system:

Mathematics falls under 3 categories:

1. HSC Syllabus
2. Cool Math (Too hard)
3. Boring Math (Too easy)

That just about covers everything I think?

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
hahah well by those you can just have 2 catergories, Cool Maths and Boring Maths, even the HSC catergory becomes a sub catergory, albeit most of it would be under the 2nd catergory..

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
lucifel said:
hahah well by those you can just have 2 catergories, Cool Maths and Boring Maths, even the HSC catergory becomes a sub catergory, albeit most of it would be under the 2nd catergory..
Hehe, I guess so!

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
they are too detailled and not broad enough for the purposes of my thread. I had intended to find the most general way of classifying maths. And I certainly believe Real and Complex Analysis can just fit under the big banner of "Analysis"

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
lucifel said:
they are too detailled and not broad enough for the purposes of my thread. I had intended to find the most general way of classifying maths. And I certainly believe Real and Complex Analysis can just fit under the big banner of "Analysis"
OK, after much deliberation I got it!!!

2 branches of mathematics;

1. Maths used in Kindergarden
2. Maths used everywhere else

Perfect :D

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
but i liked your old idea better, 'boring maths' and 'cool maths'.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
lucifel said:
but i liked your old idea better, 'boring maths' and 'cool maths'.
Yeh, me too. Let's stick with that, because it's kinda sad how we're having this conversation at midnight :p Shouldnt we be having sex or drinking? Perhaps even some study? lol I might settle for some sleep actually.

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
you're most definately correct, a) it is a waste of time, and b) we should be doing something better, but eh?

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
buchanan said:
Mathematicians use it quite a lot, especially to find references. So it's not a waste of time.
'To bother classifying math or to just do it... that, is the question' - Zeus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)