The difference between left and right (1 Viewer)

jesterofenglish

HSC
N/A
'lo all,

Can someone explain to me (or direct me to a site that can) the difference between the right and left-hand rule (aside from the obvious ;) )

When are you supposed to use which one? I am always getting confused and just end up looking like a complete moron who still gets the wrong answer.

donis

righthand rule for positive charge , left hand rule for negative charge ( electron )

JayWalker

HSC
jesterofenglish said:
'lo all,

Can someone explain to me (or direct me to a site that can) the difference between the right and left-hand rule (aside from the obvious ;) )

When are you supposed to use which one? I am always getting confused and just end up looking like a complete moron who still gets the wrong answer.
Well i personally always use right hand, if its +vely charged then direcion is out of palm, -ve is out of back of hand... thats about right :S

helper

HSC
N/A
There are so many variations of the left and right rule, it really depends on the one you learnt.

If its the one that uses the palm as the force then it is as donis said. Thats the one I use or use the right hand always and point the thumb in the opposite direction for a negative charge.

If its Fleming's Left Hand Rule with the thumb and first two fingers like a gun then it is the opposite to what Donis said.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
just learn one... don't try and confuse urself :)

helper

HSC
N/A
Totally agree Dougie, which is why I use the Right Hand Palm Rule.

I had to look up the other one but to answer Jester's question we need to know which one he uses

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
As someone said before... just use the right hand...
For a pos change move ur hand in the direction of your palm,
for a neg change move ur hand in the opposite direction in which ur palm is pointing...
Simple!

JayWalker

HSC
Dash said:
As someone said before... just use the right hand...
For a pos change move ur hand in the direction of your palm,
for a neg change move ur hand in the opposite direction in which ur palm is pointing...
Simple!
That'd be me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)