The Dark Tower Series (WARNING: SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Chris462

The Dark Tower Series

anyone else reading this at the moment? im up to wizard and the glass, lots of good philisophical gander, im really enjoying it, has a lord of the rings esque feel to it...

J

jhakka

Re: The Dark Tower Series

Mega bump from the old days.

The Dark Tower is one series that I reccomend everyone has a read of once, if only because it was written over the entire course of King's career. That and it's very awesome.

Has anyone read this? If so, what did you think of the ending? And what was your favourite book?

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A

It's a fun read, its incredibly convulated, but it's hardly some philosophical masterpiece. The last book was much better than #6, being a rollickin' adventure through a post-apocalyptic wasteland. The ending, while feeling like a cop-out, was really the only one which fitted - unless you like the idea of a half-dozen mediocre spin-offs coming off.

The epic showdown at the base of the Dark Tower could have been much much better, considering how much build up was around the Crimson King. Actually, scratch that, all the incredibly badass antagonists died pathetic and anti-climatic deaths. You'd think the Man in Black himself, who personally destroyed an entire level of the DT, would be taken down in such a pathetic manner.

Also, self insertion is never cool.

However, the entire subplot with the Breakers was nothing short of brilliant, with cleverly written characters and plenty of entertaining action for those with ADHD. Not to mention that the bitter nerd kid from Everything's Eventual is back, the sheer nerd rage emanating from him warms my heart.

Also, while it may be cool do have the occasional Deus Ex Machina, it gets tired very very quickly.

Kabeio

k.
HSC

Agreed i think he might have rushed the ending or got unsure what to write....was a rather anti-climax from what he had built up.

J

jhakka

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers.

Aznpsycho said:
It's a fun read, its incredibly convulated, but it's hardly some philosophical masterpiece. The last book was much better than #6, being a rollickin' adventure through a post-apocalyptic wasteland. The ending, while feeling like a cop-out, was really the only one which fitted - unless you like the idea of a half-dozen mediocre spin-offs coming off.
I agree that it was a masterpiece, perhaps with the exception of Song of Susannah, which I didn't particularly like. As you said later on, self insertion is not cool.

I disagree about the ending, though. At first I was really sad and a little bit (to quote brogan77) "Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot." But having thought about it, I realised that:
  1. King is a horror writer, so happy endings aren't always necessary.
  2. Roland was never meant to be happy. As much as I wanted him to be reunited with Susan Delgado, I knew that if King tried for that, it would really seem like a forced ending.
  3. It links with the idea that ka is a wheel, and the Tower is the centre of ka.
  4. It leaves room for speculation on Roland's fate. Having Cuthbert's horn certainly left room for the idea of Roland's evolution.
More than anything I thought it was a sad ending, more than a poor one. I wish more than anything that Roland could have been happy, but I knew it couldn't actually happen. To have one's life defined by seeing the Tower is really shallow, and once he got there he was truly bound for nothing more than pain.

Aznspycho said:
The epic showdown at the base of the Dark Tower could have been much much better, considering how much build up was around the Crimson King. Actually, scratch that, all the incredibly badass antagonists died pathetic and anti-climatic deaths. You'd think the Man in Black himself, who personally destroyed an entire level of the DT, would be taken down in such a pathetic manner.
I wasn't actually disappointed with that. Bear in mind that you have just read through a 5000+ page epic, and that the characters are just as tired as you are. Susannah and Roland treked through frozen wastelands for months, and Morded followed. Hmm. "The gunslinger fled across the wasteland and his son followed."

On that note, the Crimson King was trapped and mad, Roland was tired, half dead and being called by the Tower. Both protagonist and antagonist were on their last legs, and for Roland that was going to be the last day of this life whether he won or lost. I think it fit, and I even think the battle was pretty cool. Could have been longer, though.

I agree that Walter/Flagg's death could have been better. He was always calculating and plotting, and to fall into such a simple trap as having his mind read by Morded through a stupid "thinking cap" was a bit silly and definitely disappointing.

Aznpsycho said:
Also, self insertion is never cool.
Agreed. I hate how Jake died to save the author. That sucked. And was silly. He deserved a much cooler death than that.

Aznpsycho said:
However, the entire subplot with the Breakers was nothing short of brilliant, with cleverly written characters and plenty of entertaining action for those with ADHD. Not to mention that the bitter nerd kid from Everything's Eventual is back, the sheer nerd rage emanating from him warms my heart.
I liked the breakers subplot, but I enjoyed the entire backstory in Wizard and Glass more. I think it justified the entire story of Wolves of the Calla, though, which I wasn't too impressed with, to be perfectly honest. I thought it was a bit half arsed compared to the story of Roland and Susan. They could have done a hell of a lot more with it.

Aznpsycho said:
Also, while it may be cool do have the occasional Deus Ex Machina, it gets tired very very quickly.
It was funny in the Dandelo episode, though. "Here comes the deus ex machina!" But I think the whole self-insertion thing and the story being defined as a story made it really annoying really quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)