The Dark Knight (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I know it sounds a little farfetched but for those who have looked into the film well, do you think it holds up well with belonging?

My initial thought is Batman/Bruce Wayne's feeling of belonging towards Gotham which subsequently leads to his dedication and love for the city, the fact that he would do anything for it

SPOILERS, like let the woman that he loved die to save the man he believed would restore the city, then sacrificing himself to save that man's reputation, giving up his social life completely and whenever he shows his social life it is just a fake to hide his true identity, risking his life etc.

All because of his feeling of belonging to the city that he dearly loves.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Bulldog4lyf said:
I know it sounds a little farfetched but for those who have looked into the film well, do you think it holds up well with belonging?

My initial thought is Batman/Bruce Wayne's feeling of belonging towards Gotham which subsequently leads to his dedication and love for the city, the fact that he would do anything for it

SPOILERS, like let the woman that he loved die to save the man he believed would restore the city, then sacrificing himself to save that man's reputation, giving up his social life completely and whenever he shows his social life it is just a fake to hide his true identity, risking his life etc.

All because of his feeling of belonging to the city that he dearly loves.
Yeah it does have some aspect of belonging.

dp624

HSC
Yes i think it would be a good film for the area of study.
show me your initial analysis and i can tell you if i like it or not =P

~caramello~

HSC
yea. Dark Knight does have aspects of belonging.
Like for instance, Batman needs to belong to the general society to hide his true identity (as a man he is corruptible, as a symbol he is untouchable).

Bulldog4lyf said:
I
SPOILERS, like let the woman that he loved die to save the man he believed would restore the city,
btw..Didn't batman go to save rachel? but joker reversed the locations?

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
~caramello~ said:
btw..Didn't batman go to save rachel? but joker reversed the locations?
Yeah, sorry worded it wrong. I meant that he accepted it and decided to continue saving Dent because he knew it was for the best for Gotham.

dolbinau

HSC
I'm sure for 2010 The Dark Knight will be so over saturated (if it isn't already) that I don't know if it would be a wise choice for a text, relevant or not. I'm sure you could argue "Twilight" has aspects of 'Belonging' (not that I know what this new course is about :p, it's just a guess) but to do it wouldn't be a good idea.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
dolbinau said:
I'm sure for 2010 The Dark Knight will be so over saturated (if it isn't already) that I don't know if it would be a wise choice for a text, relevant or not. I'm sure you could argue "Twilight" has aspects of 'Belonging' (not that I know what this new course is about :p, it's just a guess) but to do it wouldn't be a good idea.
Why not? What do you mean by "over saturated"?

dolbinau

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
Why not? What do you mean by "over saturated"?
I mean, that *every one* knows about it, has seen it. It will be so commercial and mainstream...I just don't know how appropriate it would be. Kind of like doing "Harry Potter" for a text. If you don't do it very, very well I wonder if the markers could think you are just doing 'your favourite movie' for the sake of it. Can't you see in some light that it might be hard to be taken seriously?

I don't know, this is just me/my opinion. Perhaps it's not like that at all.

HSC
OMGsh! you've alredy started looking for texts for Belonging :O
ahahhzz... u havent even started yr11 yet
damn, ur preparing early
Maybe i should prepare too xD

~caramello~

HSC
dolbinau said:
I mean, that *every one* knows about it, has seen it. It will be so commercial and mainstream...I just don't know how appropriate it would be. Kind of like doing "Harry Potter" for a text. If you don't do it very, very well I wonder if the markers could think you are just doing 'your favourite movie' for the sake of it. Can't you see in some light that it might be hard to be taken seriously?

yea, he is rite.
The markers might think you didn't really put a lot of effort/thought into choosing your supplementary text. You just took the easy way out and did your favourite movie.
You should probably ask your teacher.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
dolbinau said:

Wow, you just completely opened my eyes to that. I never thought of putting myself in the marker's shoes, I guess if I was the marker marking a million things on the same film I would roll my eyes again and not take it seriously. I'll probably do something less known like an Independent Film or something.

dolbinau

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
Wow, you just completely opened my eyes to that. I never thought of putting myself in the marker's shoes, I guess if I was the marker marking a million things on the same film I would roll my eyes again and not take it seriously. I'll probably do something less known like an Independent Film or something.
What I don't understand is you appear to be sarcastic when you mention genuine issues; you don't think that markers might get tired of the same related texts over and over again?

But in any case, it's not just it may be overused [I mean, it may not], it's the appropriateness of a comic book blockbuster. I'm sure some markers make judgements, if not conscious, on some candidates based on the texts they chose. (Even if small).

The issue of choosing appropriate texts has been directly addressed in past marking notes too, I'm not going to be bothered to find it though :p.

dp624

HSC
To be honest he sounds pretty genuine to me.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
dolbinau said:
What I don't understand is you appear to be sarcastic when you mention genuine issues; you don't think that markers might get tired of the same related texts over and over again?

But in any case, it's not just it may be overused [I mean, it may not], it's the appropriateness of a comic book blockbuster. I'm sure some markers make judgements, if not conscious, on some candidates based on the texts they chose. (Even if small).

The issue of choosing appropriate texts has been directly addressed in past marking notes too, I'm not going to be bothered to find it though :p.
Yeah, sorry it did sound pretty sarcastic. I didn't mean it to be, lol. Yeah, I completely understand what you mean and you've practically changed my mind completely. It's way too popular.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
here's why you should use dark knight:

belonging is new so whatever ORT is regarded as overused isn't really defined yet, take advantage of this.

You shouldn't listen to other people's subjective opinions on whether an ORT is good or not, it is only your opinion which matters(unless the ORT in question really does not link to Belonging) when I did Journeys my tutor told me not to use lord of the rings because it was 'popular' however in the assement task involving it I scored 13/15

My teacher told us that it is often better to write about a text you're more familiar and comfortable with as you have a better chance of marks because you write with confidence compared to someone who writes about a text that nobody has heard of.

Power of One

HSC
N/A
I definitely would not touch Dark Knight, way way too many people I know want to write about it. If you want something really different try Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) about how the German Scotttish and French stopped fighting on Christmas Eve to "belong' to somehting special. However that is just scrapiong the bones the film has lots of belonging aspects to it. Based on a true story it will give you an insight into belonging that you have never had before. I tell you give it a go.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Just wait until term four to choose related texts for Belonging!
Year 11 Advanced English is bad enough. What AOS are you doing for that? Because you may be able to weave the Dark Knight into that depending on the topic. I know some year 11 AOS topics tend to be Change or Identity and the Dark Knight could work for either of them.
With all the research you did in year 11 you may be able to use it for year 12 later on during Belonging (if that's allowed(?))

But I agree with a couple of posts back that technically nothing is overused because we're the first year to study Belonging.
And that you should only ever choose texts that you like. If you don't like the text then you won't care about it as much. It's really that simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)