the current english course is a waste of time, true or false (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Jachie said:
I don't need indepth reasoning dullard, I have opinions.

maths is aids, period. I know what 10% off a $30 cardigan is, I can add and subtract and multiply and even divide if I need to, and you know what? I'm going to be able to get by just fine in life, with or without pythagoras or calculus. does this make me "less educated" than you? perhaps. let's judge ten years from now when you're a fucking electrician and I'm paying your wages k?
Yes but strictly speaking one can get by in life, and most bogans do, without ever having read a word of literature outside The Daily Telegraph and womens' magazines. But what kind of life is that?

I know how to write words, even sentences if I need to, and I'll get by fine in life, with or without Keats or Shakespeare. :D

mjgeneral

HSC
well actually...i was aiming for aerospace engineering, jz a tad off from a higih school drop kik electrician
Like u said, u can survive with basic maths
and we can survive with basic english, i never said maths shud b compulsory

Last edited:

ekirii

iota
HSC
if we're just going to talk about basic survival, then certainly, basic english, basic maths is perfectly fine.

but if we want to know this world a little more then we go a little deeper. it's reciprocal. you choose how much you want to know of the world (and if it's compulsory, you can either go with the flow, or do the course regardless and waste that time complaining about it).

and there are the other things that colour our life, human experience etc. but that's different. those things you can't learn from constructed courses because they simply can't be taught.

if you want to interact with the world on a level beyond people around you, that's fine. if you enjoy it, even better. although personally, i can't see the point of doing maths at an advanced level. i am not going to stand at the side of a road and differentiate or whatever to find a car's acceleration ... but that's me personally, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion. there are arguments for every side, just as there are those little idiomatic phrases that sound smart and logical but there's an equally smart and logical idiom for the other side.

there goes the chinese allusion for me.

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
The conversation may have moved on from here (i dont actually know as i cbf reading the 6 pages of post), but i was always told that education's main purpose is not solely the content taught. The skills you learn in school do not have to be able to be applied to the real world necessarily. Education and learning is a way of expanding your mind, letting if further grow and develop. This allows you to become a more rounded thinker, and helps you to be more flexible in thought as well as being able to interpret new information better and more quickly. The fact that a certain sentence is a metaphor is not important, sure - but what is important is the fact that YOU recognized it as a metaphor, that you know what a metaphor is, and that you are able to understand the abstract nature of a metaphor.

slzybanana

HSC
no subject is a waste of time for each subject increases your knowledge of the world a little and lets you see a bit more than meets the eye

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
Raaaaay i think you and my teacher are on the same wavelength. Here is a quote of his:
"There are thousands of languages in the world, but only 1 mathematics"

JordanG

HSC
I learned a lot from the English syllabus.

It also provided a lot of daydreaming time in information processes and tech!

I guess you've really gotta be interested in the texts though. Meh. I wouldn't want any other syllabus mind you.

LordPc

HSC
Jachie said:
Eh, who gives a shit. we have to do what we have to do, so suck it up and take it like a man.
Woah, this is such a poor attitude. first off it is pretty evident that alot of people "give a shit" about the course. Secondly, just taking what you cant change will get not get you far from your doorstep in life.

From current opinions it seems as though the course isnt very relatable to most people, but there are a few instances where it would come in handy. If only they explained when we would use this stuff in real life at the start or end of the topic, it would make you feel like you didnt waste a bit of your life

undalay

HSC
There has been alot of debate on a wide range of issues inside this thread. Infact so many its stupid, OP should of made a clearer question to debate.

"Mathematics is rigid -> only has one answer."

In mathematics, much like english, it is the journey itself rather then the end. You will see plenty of 4 or 5 mark questions, with only 1 mark designated to the actual answer. How a student reachers his conclusion will separate the masses. The answer itself doesn't matter that much.

"English should/shouldn't be compulsory."

As far as i know, english was made compulsory due to the lack of english skills in university (essay writing/responses?). There are a number of other ways to increase skills in these two areas rather then making english compulsory. This could include increasing the language usage in other subjects. More reading/writing in sciences, etc, with marks deducted for poor structure/grammar, etc. Remember these are just some ideas.

"English (course) is useless."
If english is 'useless' then so is math, science and every other subject out there.

"English (language) is useless."
no.

Raaaaaay

HSC
Jachie said:
I don't need indepth reasoning dullard, I have opinions.

maths is aids, period. I know what 10% off a $30 cardigan is, I can add and subtract and multiply and even divide if I need to, and you know what? I'm going to be able to get by just fine in life, with or without pythagoras or calculus. does this make me "less educated" than you? perhaps. let's judge ten years from now when you're a fucking electrician and I'm paying your wages k?
How does one calculate how much to pay an electrician without mathematics? How does one become an electrician without mathematics? Do you realise what a senior course in mathematics is used for, higher order thinking in solving applied problems. Applied calculus to find minima and maxima values, predicting trajectories etc. I find it funny how you deem your self a "Upper class member of society" while you live in Mount Colah. :rofl:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Woah, this is such a poor attitude. first off it is pretty evident that alot of people "give a shit" about the course. Secondly, just taking what you cant change will get not get you far from your doorstep in life.
So what exactly are you proposing? Boycot HSC English to "show them"? Yeah, THAT will get you far.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Raaaaaay said:
How does one calculate how much to pay an electrician without mathematics? How does one become an electrician without mathematics? Do you realise what a senior course in mathematics is used for, higher order thinking in solving applied problems. Applied calculus to find minima and maxima values, predicting trajectories etc. I find it funny how you deem your self a "Upper class member of society" while you live in Mount Colah. :rofl:
I find it funny how you have absolutely no ability to comprehend sarcasm and no reason to be worthy of breathing.

I do NOT need calculus in order to know how much to pay an electrician. what kind of a moron are you?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Why people are whining over how much English Advanced/Standard sucks is beyond me. There's only another few weeks until Yr12, and from there, a totally new course which, you never know- might be a lot better than the preliminary.

slzybanana

HSC
not so looking forward to journeys in year 12 lol. standard english i would say, is for the struggling, advanced is just plain boring, though i still argue that its not a waste of time, ext 1 has some interesting content, ext 2 is...i dunno
our school is especially retarded because a minimum of 2u advanced english is compulsory, all 120 in our grade do it, but i dont mind since i would have done the advanced course just to get into extension neway

iEdd

HSC
Ah I had some really great points, but most have been said, but there's not a lot of point arguing. Basically, if you are good at writing fast and repeating what you heard last week, good luck. The system will reward you as you coast through and get 90% +. :)

poWerdrY

HSC
dude, i may sound like a nerd in saying this, but you do not understand how important maths really is. a good understanding of maths is an indicator of intelligence. havent you noticed how many courses require a prerequisite of at least general maths? its not that you can use calculus or whatnot, its just that if you don't even understand the principle of mathematics, you'll have no chance of understanding the uni course

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
poWerdrY said:
dude, i may sound like a nerd in saying this, but you do not understand how important maths really is. a good understanding of maths is an indicator of intelligence. havent you noticed how many courses require a prerequisite of at least general maths? its not that you can use calculus or whatnot, its just that if you don't even understand the principle of mathematics, you'll have no chance of understanding the uni course
Many university courses that demand Mathematics require at least Mathematics (not General Mathematics) including Business, Science and IT and I snigger at the General Maths students. :)

So few require English Standard/Advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)