The Cricket Thread (2 Viewers)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

I agree mostly, Pattinson and Cummins are showing excellent potential though beware of investing too much hope in players so green. Harris has as you said performed well at most opportunities. Siddle has been honest and consistent but really, he's the bowler you go to when you can't get someone better, I liked Hilfenhaus two or three years back and its hard to get the memory of him persistently niggling away outside off, if he can regain his old form he'll be a good prospect. Copeland I think looks to have the makings of a useful test bowler too. I'm less sold on Lyon, it will be telling how he does if some of those Indian greats get settled and Aus requires a spinner to work one end for a lot of overs to keep the over rate moving along and stop the seamers tiring. Like ever spinner since Macgill, excep Krejza who while I liked him was quite erratic, Lyon doesn't really have a great wicket taking, attacking spin he's more there to contain batsman while the other bowlers attack. Watson is looking to be really good second change bowler these days.
Have to be careful that we don't overuse Pattinson and Cummins and their bodies can't take the strain.

Hilfenhaus was pretty decent I thought too but his issue was that he swung the ball from the hand and batsman were picking it up early. If he could modify it so the ball swung later I think he'd be doing a lot better.

Copeland, while only bowling 125km/h or around there, is able to hit a good line and length. If he keeps at it he can definitely be useful by using his subtle changes in movement but the only bad thing about him is his lack of pace.

Spinner wise, I think Lyon is our best option at the moment it seems. We'll find out against India however...

halapenyo

HSC

yeah like AAEldar said Hilfenhaus started to get very predictable with his swing bowling.

also Lyon will get a really good workout at the SCG against tendulkar, sehwag, kohli, laxman etc. he's definitely not as good as a graeme swann or a muralitharan but he will improve and get more variation into his game.

I think overall Australia have more concern with their batting than their bowling. not being able to chase down 241 when one of your batsmen scores more than half of the runs is not acceptable.

Lentern

HSC

Have to be careful that we don't overuse Pattinson and Cummins and their bodies can't take the strain.
Its not even just about injuries, young players are still learning and will have erratic patches, build an attack around them at your peril

Copeland, while only bowling 125km/h or around there, is able to hit a good line and length. If he keeps at it he can definitely be useful by using his subtle changes in movement but the only bad thing about him is his lack of pace.
He's not that sort of bowler, nobody would have said that Mcgrath or Pollock's lack of pace was a bad thing. If he keeps developing at his current trajectory he'll draw plenty of outside edges over the years.

Spinner wise, I think Lyon is our best option at the moment it seems. We'll find out against India however...
He just strikes me as a fairweather bowler, the most overs he's ever had to bowl before the quicks finished up business was 34 against Sri Lanka and from memory they made pretty easy work of him once they got settled.

halapenyo

HSC

official Australian squad for boxing day:

Australia squad: Michael Clarke (c), Brad Haddin (vc), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Dan Christian, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Ben Hilfenhaus.

Hughes and Khawaja axed. Watson and Cummins still injured. Cowan just scored a 109 against the indians in a warm up game so deserves his spot.

Last edited:

90atar

HSC

official Australian squad for boxing day:

Australia squad: Michael Clarke (c), Brad Haddin (vc), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Dan Christian, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Ben Hilfenhaus.

Hughes and Khawaja axed. Watson and Cummins still injured. Cowan just scored a 109 against the indians in a warm up game so deserves his spot.
For me, Starc and Christian are the men to miss out unless Marsh can't prove his fitness, I think it was a bit cheap to leave Ryan Harris out...he played last night. Too much "Musical Chairs" going on with the bowling attack.

halapenyo

HSC

so hopefully the batting order would be:

Warner
Marsh
Cowan
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin

and then the tail.

90atar

HSC

so hopefully the batting order would be:

Warner
Marsh
Cowan
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin

and then the tail.
After yesterday's performance, and John Inverarity has said that the intention is for Marsh to bat at 3 and Cowan to definitely open. If Marsh is not fit, Christian moves to 6 and the middle order moves up.

halapenyo

HSC

After yesterday's performance, and John Inverarity has said that the intention is for Marsh to bat at 3 and Cowan to definitely open. If Marsh is not fit, Christian moves to 6 and the middle order moves up.
ahh yes good point, cowan should open and marsh at 3.

halapenyo

HSC

Shaun Marsh just made 99 off 52 balls in the BBL. he looks set for boxing day.

so Cowan, Marsh, Warner seem to be in form. hope our middle order doesnt stuff up again.

90atar

HSC

Shaun Marsh just made 99 off 52 balls in the BBL. he looks set for boxing day.

so Cowan, Marsh, Warner seem to be in form. hope our middle order doesnt stuff up again.
Yeah great from Marsh...looks like the order will be getting into form right ahead of Boxing Day. To be honest, Clarke has been batting better since he has been captain, I think he will really stand up against the Indians.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC

sixers vs. stars
melbourne needed a boundary on the last ball to win

shadowd00d how can you say 20/20 is not exciting?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

sixers vs. stars
melbourne needed a boundary on the last ball to win

shadowd00d how can you say 20/20 is not exciting?
I don't find that stuff exciting, I said I prefer the 'build' of a score with the thrill of players like Warner and Sehwag who'll amass runs quickly. But if everyone does that 'special' thing, it's not special anymore.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Test Match > ODI > T20

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

ODI > Test > T20
I was leaning towards that for a moment, but then I like the idea of an aggregate total plus the ability to basically build a really large score over many days and that aura about Test cricket is... really something special.

90atar

HSC

Test is definitely the premier and best form of the game by a long way, it cannot be debated, think of all the great cricketing moments over the years, 85%+ are in Test matches.

Hilfenhaus has bowled brilliantly this morning, great seam position and reverse swing with the old ball, now onto the new ball.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

All 3 forms have some sort of allure. Personally i like the atmosphere of 20/20 (the liveliness and roar of the crowd)

And crap things just got a lot more interesting now. (India vs Aus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)