The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
townie said:
how stupid, speedy service doesnt = good customer service, sure it's a part of it, but it's not the whole picture, and i think it would be to coles detriment if they got too focused on that. because then you just get cashiers thinking "gotta serve customers as quickly as possible" and so they forget the pleasantries, and listening, and doing something extra
Well I guess the whole idea is to decrease the time waiting n shit.. you know how people get shitty when they have to queue up..

Oh yeah.. and we gotta listen and make conversation with the customers now too.. eg. "Oh! I love your nails! BLAH BLAH BLAH"

And also we get marked down by mystery shoppers if they're third in line or more.. it's so stupid..

HSC
having no closed signs is the most stupid thing i ever heard of .... i mean, customers can NEVER go through any register, cos there isn't staff on all of them! and customers are endlessly trying to go through supervisors registers when theyre counting drawers.... etc etc

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
Coles Service Assistants

what skills have u had from workin as a service assistant @ coles?

custardpie

HSC
Alright so as I said i got offered a nightfill position, and the pay's at $26 p/hour between midnight and 6 am, and around $17 p/hour otherwise (I'm 19).

So I had my training a few days ago (not the induction, the actual training with the grocery manager) and at the end of the day one of the other dudes asked how many shifts we can expect, he said that he wasn't sure, and that he was only required to give us only ONE SHIFT A MONTH! So I ask how many nightfill employees there are, and he responds with "about 50". I'm really 'wtf!?!?' at this stage, coz i was told we should expect about 2 shifts a week at the interview, and I really desperately need the money.

So anyway, apparently what happens now is that I just wait for a call, and heaven forbid it be on a night where I have something important on (unlikely, but still). This is exasperating, as it could be a month before I get a call...I've had to resume my job search and have applied at aldi and other places and hopefully something comes up and this can be my second job, but jesus how frustrating.

Any advice on what I should do? and whether the grocery manager was messing around, just trying to keep us on our feet? He seemed like a fairly cool guy, not the type to be a wanker about these things but you never know..so yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

HSC
custardpie said:
Alright so as I said i got offered a nightfill position, and the pay's at $26 p/hour between midnight and 6 am, and around $17 p/hour otherwise (I'm 19).

So I had my training a few days ago (not the induction, the actual training with the grocery manager) and at the end of the day one of the other dudes asked how many shifts we can expect, he said that he wasn't sure, and that he was only required to give us only ONE SHIFT A MONTH! So I ask how many nightfill employees there are, and he responds with "about 50". I'm really 'wtf!?!?' at this stage, coz i was told we should expect about 2 shifts a week at the interview, and I really desperately need the money.

So anyway, apparently what happens now is that I just wait for a call, and heaven forbid it be on a night where I have something important on (unlikely, but still). This is exasperating, as it could be a month before I get a call...I've had to resume my job search and have applied at aldi and other places and hopefully something comes up and this can be my second job, but jesus how frustrating.

Any advice on what I should do? and whether the grocery manager was messing around, just trying to keep us on our feet? He seemed like a fairly cool guy, not the type to be a wanker about these things but you never know..so yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
They're not messing with you. Legally, you are ONLY entitled to one three hour shift per month. But I doubt that thats what you will receive, the nightfill staff at my store get between 2-4 shifts a week, but these can be cut back to 1 per week during winter.

CieL

HSC
Re: Coles Service Assistants

nanaxdd said:
what skills have u had from workin as a service assistant @ coles?
Are you trying to fill out a resume or something?
Just bullcrap something..

Like how "service" reflects customer service which means you deal with an assortment on a daily basis, you gain interpersonal skills, learn to deal with a variety of different people [some which may be difficult]..
You gain initiative.. as in, being a service assistant, you're a team player which needs to fulfil several roles to get the job done [without the supervisor asking you constantly]
Erm.. social skills has sorta been mentioned, but part of the CHEERS program requires the SA to engage in conversation and interaction between you and the customer.. so you're more open and confident about face to face situations..

There's heaps of other stuff.. and you just twist it to bend it into the job you're looking towards [providing you're actually writing a resume]

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
Re: Coles Service Assistants

CieL said:
Are you trying to fill out a resume or something?
Just bullcrap something..

Like how "service" reflects customer service which means you deal with an assortment on a daily basis, you gain interpersonal skills, learn to deal with a variety of different people [some which may be difficult]..
You gain initiative.. as in, being a service assistant, you're a team player which needs to fulfil several roles to get the job done [without the supervisor asking you constantly]
Erm.. social skills has sorta been mentioned, but part of the CHEERS program requires the SA to engage in conversation and interaction between you and the customer.. so you're more open and confident about face to face situations..

There's heaps of other stuff.. and you just twist it to bend it into the job you're looking towards [providing you're actually writing a resume]

yeah im writing a resume....looking for a fulltime job and leaving coles as weekends, since they only give me 2 days a week anyways, so yeah..i cant think of jack shit skills i got from coles..lolz...srsly..coles SA is so bullshit :(

patty4848

HSC
Does anyone know how much notice you have to give if you want to transfer between coles stores. I'm looking at transferring between NSW and QLD and starting work in february 2009, so I'm wondering when i should be officially doing it?

greekgun

HSC
After 2 mnths off from coles, i come back to see that our coles hired 120 new staff to work on the registers, and a handful to work on stock. And most of these new guys are like 15 year olds. I have a feeling everyone over the age of 18 are ganna get the sack due to them having new workers who are paid less.

jirwin

HSC
woah thats a lot of staff for registers. we've gotten a few - 3 that i know of right now. and we are kinda understaffed at certain periods during the week. i find most of us get more/the same amount of hours as the younger ones, but it also seems the younger ones get the 8hr shifts on sundays.

HSC
We got heaps of new staff as well, but everyone seems to be getting the same amount of hours. There doesnt seem to be much of a gap between the 13 year olds (yes, thats how young they are) and the 21 year olds.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
we are soo overstaffed
i get like one three hour shift a week god damn it

my boyfriends chrissy present costs $550. fucking thank you coles.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Just wondering if any other coles employee has been in the same situation. Tonight before my 6pm start, I put my jumper with my wallet tucket into it, and stored it ontop of the lockers, seing I dont have a key (basically no casuals do..). Anyway, when I got home and checked my bank balance receipts (I took out $60 just before starting work), I see absolutely NOTHING beside the ATM receipt. I had 2x20 Notes and a 10dollar note(I spent the other ten..), and there is just my receipt left. Why the fuck do people do this?? Because Im going to make them jobless soon. Anyway, during my shift I work in Dairy, and the dairy case runs alongside the entrance to the tea room, where the changerooms are in also. Between 6-9pm, there was only 6 other guys working, and they all started at 6, expect a few latecomers..

So, would Managment care about this shit??, or would they just say be more carefull in the future. Im so sick of this shit, and Im certianly going to nail this person. Would managment use CCTV to see access in the Tea-room, and find out if anyone entered when they shoudln't have??

THANKS GUYS! I just want my $50 back!

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
milocole said:
Just wondering if any other coles employee has been in the same situation. Tonight before my 6pm start, I put my jumper with my wallet tucket into it, and stored it ontop of the lockers, seing I dont have a key (basically no casuals do..). Anyway, when I got home and checked my bank balance (I took out $60 just before starting work), I see absolutely NOTHING. I had 2x20 Notes and a 10dollar note(I spent the other ten..), and there is just my receipt left. Why the fuck do people do this?? Because Im going to make them jobless soon. Anyway, during my shift I work in Dairy, and the dairy case runs alongside the entrance to the tea room, where the changerooms are in also. Between 6-9pm, there was only 6 other guys working, and they all started at 6, expect a few latecomers..

So, would Managment care about this shit??, or would they just say be more carefull in the future. Im so sick of this shit, and Im certianly going to nail this person. Would managment use CCTV to see access in the Tea-room, and find out if anyone entered when they shoudln't have??

THANKS GUYS! I just want my $50 back!
You mean checked your wallet?

We've had a couple cases of theft .. but we think it was the maintence guy who stole the money [the guy who went upstairs to the plant room, which is also next to the lockers]

I don't think they could of done anything.. and it's kinda your responsibility to make sure you put your belongings on a safe place.. at my work there's sometimes a shortage of lockers and we just ask the manager and he brings you to his office, hides your goods in one of his drawer and locks his room - he's only one with keys..

Do you have cameras in the tea room? I don't think they're allowed that??

I'd just tell the manager the situation asap anyway to see what they can do about it.. because it's good if you raise awareness it might deter the theives..

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
EDIT- There is a CCTV camera directly outside the entrance to the Tea-room, and the door takes ages to shut, and the changerooms is abit further in front of the tea-room entrance(not a big store for us..). So might be able to see who went in there...

Even if I can get access, its over 3 hours, and there are people leaving at 6, people on breaks, so its basically impossible.

But I will make sure the store manager puts up another one of his threatening signs up about Using Lockers, Theives are apparent etc...

gemmal

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
having no closed signs is the most stupid thing i ever heard of .... i mean, customers can NEVER go through any register, cos there isn't staff on all of them! and customers are endlessly trying to go through supervisors registers when theyre counting drawers.... etc etc
Customers are just fucked! Although I've heard the signs have made a come back because of the negative feedback, has anyone had their signs given back?
Also, our store just started checking credit card details on the EFT slips, is anyone else doing that?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Is it just my store, or is all the Eggs/Coles Branded Litre SoftDrinks in The Dairy cool part??

bdude

HSC
Customers are just fucked! Although I've heard the signs have made a come back because of the negative feedback, has anyone had their signs given back?
Also, our store just started checking credit card details on the EFT slips, is anyone else doing that?
We've had ours back for a while now.

What do you mean by checking CC details?

Also, when do staff discount cards get issued?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)