The CIE Hotline (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, this is the CIE Hotline, essentially this thread is for you to discuss, bitch, procrastinate about CIE.

So here's a few questions to get the ball rolling - who was your lecturer/tutor? What was your first impression of the subject? And do you have any questions regarding assignments/textbooks etc.?

bc2005

HSC
today was good...
my tutor is nicola (i think thats her name) and my lecturer is theresa (i think thats her name)... yeh im brilliant with names.
i think i can survive the subject but i can see it getting boring very quickly haha but im sure itll b bareable. ill probably get my bitch on in a few weeks when it really starts to get on my nerves lol... but being a noob im still all wide eyed thinking everythings gona be super... right? RIGHT!

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
Lecturer: Theresa
Tutor: Nicola

Verdict: ambiguous (painfully ambiguous), boring, oh god why the hell did I enrol in a communications degree. Subjects like this make me want to cry. Please tell me it gets better >_<

</complaining>

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
So you're both in Nicola's class - maybe you're in the same group too.:)

Basically every first year thinks 'omg this is shit I want to die why did I enroll in a communications degree shoot me now with an atomic carrot loaded bazooka' once they encounter their first year theory subjects (especially first semester). Disciplinary subjects are usually a different matter though - usually great fun (unless you actually hate the major too ... which is a bad sign). It also gets way way better in later years - you can essentially do subjects relating only to your major after first year is done with or you can include some subjects from just about anywhere (even rocket science if you're that way inclined).

You should definitely remember the above when dealing with CIE though, it is the cause of sooo many first year drop outs who just get turned off of communications by it. So just try to stick it out because it will get better.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
kami said:
So you're both in Nicola's class - maybe you're in the same group too.:)

Basically every first year thinks 'omg this is shit I want to die why did I enroll in a communications degree shoot me now with an atomic carrot loaded bazooka' once they encounter their first year theory subjects (especially first semester). Disciplinary subjects are usually a different matter though - usually great fun (unless you actually hate the major too ... which is a bad sign). It also gets way way better in later years - you can essentially do subjects relating only to your major after first year is done with or you can include some subjects from just about anywhere (even rocket science if you're that way inclined).

You should definitely remember the above when dealing with CIE though, it is the cause of sooo many first year drop outs who just get turned off of communications by it. So just try to stick it out because it will get better.
Will the stuff I learn in CIE (or any of the compulsory subjects for that matter) be of any use to me in the future? I seriously hope not because I've stopped paying attention in lectures. :\

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Later on in the course, the relevance will depend which strand you do - if you do Journo, PubComm or IM you'll have core subjects that expand on the theories you're covering now in CIE and later MIS. Same applies if you choose to do a sub-major from Communications and Information Studies of your own volition. You'll find that the basic concepts will get you by later on however the people who do best are those who've built up their knowledge in that area - so don't stress if you can't remember which theorist said what, when and in which text so long as you understand what is going on in the course.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I loved CIE :D. It was P&C and CC1 that gave me all the crazy 'I hate Communications' feelings. Matt was my tutor so it was more fun than anything.

I atually ended up with a HD overall for CIE...geez, I never realised just how geeky I really am.

obtaria

Special
HSC
CIE is almost OVERRRRRRRRRRRR!! Yess.. I had ZAMAN! and his name can only be said when it's in capital letters and has an exclamation mark after it. I only understand half of the things ZAMAN! says, and it's already boring enough.

Conclusion: CIE = Death.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
obtaria said:
CIE is almost OVERRRRRRRRRRRR!! Yess.. I had ZAMAN! and his name can only be said when it's in capital letters and has an exclamation mark after it. I only understand half of the things ZAMAN! says, and it's already boring enough.

Conclusion: CIE = Death.
It used to be harder last year, I was so cut when I saw how easy all of the new assignments were. I so should have deferred. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)