The Bush Legacy (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the Presidency of George W Bush?

• Total voters

Tim the Wiz

HSC
I think that most of the 'excellent' voters, myself included, don't actually feel that George W Bush Junior did an 'excellent' job, but get sick and tired of people complaining about him, as if he didn't make any good decisions.

In relation to preventing HIV/AIDs in developing nations, strengthening US-Chinese ties and easing tension, as well as Iraq, George Bush has actually contributed quite a bit.

The current increasing stability within Iraq and the democratically elected government are both thanks to Bush and his 'surge strategy'. The fact is that, on most issues I agree with Obama, almost all, but on Iraq, he quite simply had it wrong and George Bush and John Howard had it right. If Obama had gotten his way, Iraq would have descended into utter chaos and the current steps forward that we are currently witnessing (the signing of the status-of-forces agreement before New Years for example) would not be occurring.

By any measure, George Bush was not a 'good' President, but it's overly simplistic for one to claim that he only achieved 'bad' things for America and the world. And it's important to remember, that George Bush's time in office was a very difficult one; and we'd be condemning him today, probably just as much, if not more, for inaction where he acted. He was destined for unpopularity and it's unfortunate, but his lack of public speaking ability catalysed his descent.
Certainly, large measures of truth here. As for Iraq, I don't think it would have been seen in such a negative light now if the tenuous claims of WMDs were not made, real multilateral support was sought, real inroads had already been made in efforts against Al Qaeda and bin Laden, and the aftermath of the successful takeover of Iraq had actually been planned for in detail, instead of the vague haphazard approach we saw after the collapse of Saddam's government. The surge worked, but the descent into chaos that we saw could have been avoided in some part if the Bush administration had not ignored the warnings of certain senior military and political officials as to the levels of instability which would be seen in the invasion's aftermath.

I'll agree to his work on HIV/AIDs globally and his political handling of US-Chinese ties, however, economically he's allowed the Chinese into a strong position of advantage over America. Let's not mention his errant handling of interest rates and economic regulations on the domestic scene. Katrina was a screwup on all levels of government. Furthermore, his advocacy of legislation that seriously undermined civil liberties in the cause of security had large potential to hurt the core foundations of his country.

I wouldn't say he was destined for unpopularity, there is a case to be made that a more pragmatic non-ideological man, cautious to the ebbs and flows of economic prosperity and more focused on the threat of terrorism than dictators, would have done a better job. Indeed, it could be that the missing preparedness for 9/11, the response to Katrina, the aftermath of Iraq and the lack of watchfullness on economic concerns revealed flaws throughout government, but ultimately, part of that failure must rest with the executive branch of the government.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Well what would we have rathered - a president who did nothing at all in the face of 9/11 etc etc, or a president who admitted he made mistakes but executed actions he believed were in the best interests of the country?

I feel there could be a domestic parable here - Bush as Howard, Rudd as the alternative, the one who refuses to take the road less travelled and whose only decision making in charge has been deciding what Qantas flight he wishes to catch this week.

I think history will ultimately remember him as a President facing unique situations that he was out of his depth to deal with adequately. Being booed by his countrymen must have been galling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)