"The Black Parade" (1 Viewer)

Smavie

Under Achiever
HSC
I just saw My Chemical Romance's new single "Welcome To The Black Parade" on Triple J Saturday and i gotta say i'm actually pretty impressed. Personally, i'm not a big fan of the whole emo thing... i hate The Used and up until about a week ago i felt the same about My Chemical Romance, but this single has totally redeemed themselves in my books... the way it mixes so many different elements into five minutes is heaps similar to Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" and there must've been at least 50 seperate tracks mixed on the one song. It really is pretty incredible. The film clip has a cool Clockwork Orange feel to it too. I'm impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpBXdZzT5s

What does everyone else reckon?

HSC
yeah, i actually don't mind it. then again i really liked that helena song of theirs :)o) so i guess that just proves that my musical taste is well and truly fucked.

0Jade0

HSC
It annoyed the hell out of me the first time I heard it.
Now it's not so bad. God help me, MCR is growing on me. I could still do without the first bit of the song.

Still hate the video though.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
it's like they want to be an emo version of queen. god they're shit.

Smavie

Under Achiever
HSC
Haha, yeah the intro lyrics are pretty average... but the way they mixed the whole marching band effect in with alternative rock is pretty strange but i reckon it works out pretty well.

Sweet sig kate by the way, The Postal Service fucking slay... did you see when Ben Folds covered Such Great Heights on triple j? It was pretty incredible.

Legham

HSC
I like the video clip, but i gotta say it's one of their worst songs that i've heard, imo.

xPWDx

HSC
my chemical romance r not emo

emo is the worst classification

god someone told me a7x r emo the other day

stop with the whoile emo name calling thing

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
haha that reminds me of this definition of emo from urbandictionary

"Emo" is not short for "Emotional." "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. "Emo" is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. "Emo" is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as "My arms are like pinecones," and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as "autumn," "heart," "knife," "bleeding," "leaves," and "razorblade."

I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these "definitions" in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bullshit. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was "emo bands."

Now, onto the real definition.

In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term "Emo" as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of "Emotive" Hardcore bands. That's right, "Emo" was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous Emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.

Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well shit, at least it's close.

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, fuck, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.

Hope that helps.

Taking Back Sunday, Senses Fail, and My Chemical Romance falls under the "horrible pop rock" genre, not the emo genre.

Rites of Spring is emo.

fucking hell i hate some people.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I got a chemical romance, two left feet
So now I dance with the devil, please GOD
Save me from the black parade, release me
My life like Grand Theft Auto PSP

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
No MCR are crap. They really are. I hate them. I just wish my sister didn't love them and play them on at full blast so don't worry I suffer enough

HSC
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the reason as to why MCR are popular.

It just escapes my imagination.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
kittensgoSEKSU! said:
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the reason as to why MCR are popular.

It just escapes my imagination.
uh maybe it's because not everyone's taste in music matches yours?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
haha yeah, politik is to music as komaticom and cykological_gal are to l&r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)