The Bible, Christian reading. (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
So what's your opinion on Evangelical Anglicanism... such as the Sydney Anglican Church?

Oh and to the OP... don't get a Latin translation. The bible was originally in Greek and Hebrew... so translating it from such is the best way to read it... sorry Iron...

The ESV is slightly more difficult to stomach than the NIV, but is a slightly closer to the original translation... but the NIV is an easier read.

I would start with the Gospel of Luke. If you find that interesting, have a look at Acts, then Romans through to Revelation... but don't read Revelation as tempting as it may be. Revelations is a letter in code to the Roman Christians (not some armageddon description) and will confuse the hell out of you without proper understanding and reference.

Then I'd read the other Gospels. Genesis and Exodus, and then after that I think you'll be getting a good understanding of what's going on.

You can also get them from Koorong. Most Dymocs have copies of the Bible, although they're probably shitty ones
You are right about revelations!

But Anglicans are a spent force. They ended along with Empire, i'm sorry.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
I see, well, one more question (though this may be a little personal, you dont have to answer it if you dont want to =])

How literally do you personally believe that the bible should be taken?
not literally at all, except for the very obvious teachings like "Love one another as I have loved you" or "Thou shall not kill".

some stories of the old testament like the story of genesis, and Noah's ark shouldn't be taken literally at all. the most important thing to take away from them is the meaning (e.g. God created the world, and people turned away from God later).

exodus and the prophets and that can be taken literally, if not Jews are in for a serious let down.

the new testament can be taken literally, mainly outlines Jesus' life, His miracles etc. however in saying that, most of His teachings are parables and hold encrypted meanings, and you've got to read it closely to fully understand the beauty of His teachings that's why He often said "He who has ears to hear, let him hear".

and and yeah :) that's my personal opinion anyway :)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
You are right about revelations!

But Anglicans are a spent force. They ended along with Empire, i'm sorry.
Don't apologize :) I'd have to disagree, particularly after working in an Anglican Church in the Sydney diasis for a year (although I am not a smarmy Anglican who associates Catholicism as not being Christian... you can be Anglican, Pentecostal or Catholic and still not be a Christian without believing in redemption through Christ and accepting him as Lord - wouldn't you agree?)

I think you just have to look at (some of) the graduates coming out of Moore College, and some of the Anglican Churches in Sydney and what they're doing. Granted... the Sydney Anglican church is SO vastly different to High Anglicanism.

essyp

HSC
'Christian without believing in redemption through Christ and accepting him as Lord - wouldn't you agree?'

The name christian has the word christ in it !!!!!!!

ay0_x

HSC
'Christian without believing in redemption through Christ and accepting him as Lord - wouldn't you agree?'

The name christian has the word christ in it !!!!!!!
I think he means, anyone can call themself Christian without really feeling it in their hearts, regardless of denomination.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hey all.

I'm agnostic, and I'm interested in learning about Christianity on a purely intellectual/literary level. & I want to learn about it from a Christian perspective, not a scientific or agnostic or atheist or anti-christian level.

So with the 3987349749048034804 editions of the Bible, I have no idea where to "start". Could some of the Christian members of BOS help me out please?
The Jerusalem Bible is pretty damn close to the original NT Greek and Hebrew, so i think that would be the go if you're after such a translation.

aliwonga

HSC
Hey all.

I'm agnostic, and I'm interested in learning about Christianity on a purely intellectual/literary level. & I want to learn about it from a Christian perspective, not a scientific or agnostic or atheist or anti-christian level.

So with the 3987349749048034804 editions of the Bible, I have no idea where to "start". Could some of the Christian members of BOS help me out please?
For the bible, I suggest the book of Ephesians ~it's really good! (= ). u should read Matthew

which bible- NIV is most commonly used

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I hear mere christianity is very good

reading the Gospel of Mark is very good, it is simple and i often recommend it for non christians and new christians to read

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)