The Benefits of Ancient History (1 Viewer)

When is your Ancient History trial?

• July

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • September

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Already did it!

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

malayz_angel

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but my trials are fast approaching :( Soon I will be very miserable and wondering why I ever chose this subject in the first place (esp since the exam is the day after maths.)

And I think that now would be a good time to remind myself and all you fellow HSC students about the benefits of ancient history. I'll start. Okay, here goes...

*It is useful to know if I ever become an archaeologist or ancient history professor or something like that
*It may come in handy if I ever travel back in time...I'll know something about Sparta and Persia!
*If I ever become a dictator like Hitler, I could use ancient strategies to conquer the known world! (He based his ideas on the structure on the society of Ancient Sparta.)
* um.....um....um.....

hmmm...i'm not so good at this. Does someone else want a turn?

Fiona

I smell mushrooms... oh dear I'm hungry!

I think apart from the definite improvement in essay-writing skills, it improves on your analytical skills!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
*If I ever become a dictator like Hitler, I could use ancient strategies to conquer the known world! (He based his ideas on the structure on the society of Ancient Sparta.)
wow, are you serious? i didn't know that, although the hitler youth always reminded me of the spartan education system/way of life.

in some ways though sparta is so communist in principle- totally opposite to hitler's beliefs.

interesting how modern and ancient history can overlap :)

Wiggum

I've found that it's only helped for English, well it's just reinforced the skills i already had. Eco it's different since you do need to write in a slightly different manner and add a few diagrams here and there.

It also helps on personal understanding of issues as well, it forces you to think about your opinion on an issue that is questionable.

mrman

ancient history has increased my libido and made me more virile... THANK YOU ANCIENT HISTORY :D

p.s its a reasonably interesting subject, may help me if i ever get on who wants to be a millionaire[as a phone a friend]

Yami

Actually, Ancient History (as with the other two) is helping me heaps, since I want to take archaeology as a university course...so yeah, Ancient History owns...

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by Wiggum
I've found that it's only helped for English, well it's just reinforced the skills i already had.
i found it really annoying for english cos we were doing cleo in ancient and shakespeare's julius caesar in english at the same time and half the play didn't go with what realy apparently happened so that was rather confusing

Fiona

I think it helped with Julius Caesar... Ok so the time periods and stuff I did for Rome were starting from his death, but it still helped the general understanding...

Also, I was watching Gladiator last night (but had to stop half way because I was soooooo tired) and it was really interesting to realise how much of it I actually understand now, compared with the first time I watched it!

malayz_angel

Lol...actually I don't know for sure that Hitler based his structure on Sparta...I was just like u...thinking it sounded familiar and my teacher said it was a definite possibility..sorry about that!

wow...this gives a whole new meaning to the saying *don't quote me on that*

Wiggum

Originally posted by tash
i found it really annoying for english cos we were doing cleo in ancient and shakespeare's julius caesar in english at the same time and half the play didn't go with what realy apparently happened so that was rather confusing
Content wasn't the thing that i had in mind, what i was referring to was the techniques used in evaluating sources and the was essays of both subjects are structured. Personally, there is no way that Augustan Rome has anything to do with King Lear.

Shakespeare's interpretations, mostly, are not historically correct, think about how long the gap was between caesar's period and when Shakespeare lived and the information he had in hand during that period. Sorry to go technical.

tash

lalalala
HSC
i know. it was just irritating to have contradicting information and us ancient history people had to straighten out all the facts for the rest of the class

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
Lol...actually I don't know for sure that Hitler based his structure on Sparta...I was just like u...thinking it sounded familiar and my teacher said it was a definite possibility..sorry about that!

wow...this gives a whole new meaning to the saying *don't quote me on that*
He did however use the victory of the Germans over Varus as a point of pride of Germany's people... So Ancient History is related to Hitler.

malayz_angel

Don't talk about maths! I come into ancient history to get away from the *M* word! Ugh..I did my maths trial on Monday...don't want to think about it anymore...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)