The Arrival by Shaun Tan (1 Viewer)

Gosford

HSC
Hi every1
just wondering whether any1 could give me some good ideas too talk about for the arrival in relation to skyrzyneckis poetry
i got 11/15 in trial
and they pretty much said
2prroblems
1- need to relate moe to question and prescribed text
2- more development of arrival needed

this is prettymuch wat i wrote for arrival
no words, in search for better life (linked with poetry), man's state of mind is uncertainty and confusion (shaun tan does this through use of images of foreign languages and unusual animals).

thats all i wrote for related text
thanx guys for any help

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
it's a lost cause. :(

i was looking for some helpful notes, too.

B.Lu3berry

HSC
hiya don't know if it's too late but here's a few things on The Arrival
1. Shading- creates a sombre and depressing mood
- the faces of the people are unclear and blurred, representing the loss of identity they feel
2. symbolism- the vast size of the boat of the boat represents that they're overwehlmed by the experiences of the war, even after the migrants arrived in Australia.
3. body language- negative: huddled together, wrapped in their own blanket and in their own thoughts

yeh it's really basic but cbb typing up more ^^"

jess.ford

HSC
Check out the new excel study guide the immigrant chronicle's it is fantastic and there is a section on The Arrival and Away a play by Michael Gow. It goes through Paper 1 for the HSC and it has some other related texts

Hope this helps, it helped me get through the whole unit at school and i complete suck at poetry related texts !!!!!!

slikchick

HSC
This website on the author Shaun Tan has some useful comments on his text. It also has related info on some of his other books like The Red Tree which is also related to the topic Belonging.

sb.neethu

HSC
Hi,

I am unsure how much my reply is able to help you. However, 'The Arrival' is one of my Related Texts as well and I am exploring the concept of Journey and its portrayal in the text.

'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan is a universal story of immigrants who leave their home countries and embark on a physical journey to a foreign country in search of a better way of life. It depicts the pain of departure, confusion of arrival, overwhelming sense of dislocation that is experienced in the new, 'alien' world and the glimmerings of hope as the protagonist and his family becomes a part of the new world.

Tan seems to be suggesting that the outcomes of his protaginist's journey far exceeds the harships that were endured to reach the position. In the end, it is the path that was taken which is most significant and the experience, like our memories, define our personalities, changing us and giving a different outlook.

Also, it discusses crucial concerns in contemporary cosmopolitan societies such as Immigration and Multiculturalism, some of the ideas are derived from the author's own experiences in life and also of his father's. This is the Journey of Discovery, of understanding and realisation and of gaining freedom of thoughts and actions.

Symbolism and Repetition is two of the most significant techniques used in the text. The Dangerous or fearful tail of the dragon is symbolic of the dictatorial powers that overwhelmed the social structure in the home country. While the new country is one for a new life or lifestyle, symbolised by the bird that is nursing the egg.

I hope this has helped you in some way,
neethu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)