The Arrival-by Shaun Tan- HELP PLEASE!! (1 Viewer)

andrew29

HSC
Hello all,

i am using The Arrival, by Shaun tan as my supplementary material for Physical Journeys. In a speech next week in class i need to talk about how this text is related to the concept of physical journey..PLEASE HELP!

It is a fairly long, picture book which has some pretty confusing images in it and im having trouble understanding how i can relate it to the concept of journeys in a more detailed sense than just a man migrating to another country.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
What particular thing do you need to say about journeys? Like what area?

Our class had a look at that book, and it's pretty good. I think a key point it represents is the apparent individual insignificance of migrants, shown by the reverse zooms really really far out, (if you've read it, you'll know what I mean), and all of the shots showing the migrants together, like on the boat, and in the processing hall place. This is then challenged later in the book by anecdotes told by the individuals who aid the protagonist- here in the book, the background changes colour to show flashbacks- and this shows that although migrants journey collectively, they are actually individuals with different reasons for journeying, and different backstories.

Here, you could pull in WHY the travellers make their journeys- shown by the main character (I think it was a necessity, to escape danger, poverty, or oppression, perhaps. In the beginning, we see him with his family, walking down the street, and those sharp, spiky shadow tentacles are woven into the image. This is a symbol of danger, which echoes throughout the story)... the Asian woman (to escape from a life of bondage, shown thru anecdote, etc. Look here for symbols of oppression) and the guy who looks like Kevin Crud(d) (Oh yes, I totally put political views in there. No, the guy who helps him with his groceries and takes him to his house for dinner. His anecdote is particularly powerful with the giant, army-style troops with vacuum cleaners, sucking the humans up- symbols of oppression, again. He escapes through a strange, cubic landscape.) There is also another anecdote, told by a factory worker, but I didn't get to look into that one much, but there are some amazing, war-like images there.

OK, ok, relating back to the concepts of journeys...
Reasons for journeying: the main thing here seems to be oppression, so the journeys are made out of necessity.
Obstacles: Insignificance, lack of understanding in language, social customs, architecture, and those awesome little cute animals. Note the continual use of fluid objects in architecture and cones, the weird language, the frames showing how he tries to communicate in his interview upon arrival, how all of the stamps look exactly the same, etc.

Um, believe it or not, I think the Area of Study is the worst thing imaginable and I'm having about 10000 trouble writing essays. So, really, I'm still trying to get my head around the concepts. However, I'm sure you can use some of this. Sorry if I can't be more help.

coolcapsicum

HSC
i looked at this book as well.. i thought it was quite well done actually..

i think one aspect in terms of technique u can focus on.. is how at the beginning the pictures are black and white (dullness, unhappiness, etc)

then once he gets to know this strange new place he has moved to the images have a tint of yellow (i think it was.. ).. they basically get brighter.. representing hope and all that.. a new place offers a migrant..

another thing i found interesting was..

at the beginning the images of household items, and then towards the end the household items are shown again.. with some items varying slightly.. but basically being the same..
they have settled into their new lifestyle..

i hope this has helped ..

(i'm sorry if some of the info is a bit all over the place.. its just i don't have the book in front of me..and i only briefly analysed it at the beginning of the year)

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
lets see
k the arrival represents many different aspects of the journey as the pictures follow one mans journey of immigration. he focuses on the destination but he has to overcome many hardships in the journey before he can start his new life in a safe and war free land. shaun tan is tryin to reflect the uncertainties and fear associated with a physical journey of immigration. whilst the immigrant is travelling there is a boat moving across the sea with an enormous, dark, looming cloud hanging overhead. the boat is depicted in the bottom left hand corner and is disproportionally small to the cloud. the vectors draw the readers attention to the cloud symbolising that just as the weather is unpredictable the future for these immigrants is undetermined. it is also symbolic of the immigrants lck of power as they are uncertain about what lies ahead.
when the man arrives in his new land his journey is not over as he faces many barriers as he comes to realise there are still hardships to be endured. there is a 2 page spread of 12 pictures which move in a sequence as the man is being questioned in his new land. his facial features show he is scared and uncertain about his new surroundings. the mans use of hand gestures are symbolic of the communication barriet he is experiencing as it is clear that he does not understand what is being asked of him. small tages have been stuck all over the immigrant, symbolising his fear of just being a number he feels he is losing his sense of uniqueneess as he is processed in mass groups as they move from one context to another

hope that vaguely helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)