• No, I believe chivalry is not dead

Votes: 64 62.7%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 10 9.8%

• Total voters

Davriel

HSC
N/A
G'day, just me with my usual strange questions. Now, I know a lot of people will be shocked, but I am a firm believer in chivalry. In case you don't know what that means, it's the kind of thing where a guy will open a door for his partner etc

Here's my question:

For the guys: Would you act the gentleman? And what kind of things would you do?

For the ladies: Would you like chivalry? Why/Why not?

gracie007

HSC
I'm a sucker for chivalry. I'm pretty sure most girls love it

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I like it, it's sweet.
But it's not something I'd expect, unless I had my arms full or something. That's just really common courtesy though, I'd hold a door for someone else in the same situation.

(Actually this is kinda weird. The same topic was up for discussion on another forum I'm on a little while ago.)

Skeeta

HSC
I open doors for people all the time. Its not really a big deal.

I open them for him, he opens them for me.

I would feel rather belittled if he wouldnt LET me open a door, though.

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Uh chivalry is dead. Very very very much so. I mean knighthood?? Ha.

Although I do believe in courtesy, simple common courtesy. I do believe in guys helping carry stuff when i need it (heavy bag, too many books, large awkward carrying of anything), holding a door open, buying me drinks, compliments, if i fall over i expect to be helped up and fussed over, offering seats on buses etc ect.

But that being said none of this is stuff girls shouldn't do for one another too.

Chivalry isn't needed, us femals aren't hopelessly delicate and precious, but being just plain NICE and CONSIDERATE towards anyone and everyone is appreciated.

edit: damn, i should read BEFORE I post. Ha everything i've said has allready been said. Meh.

Davriel

HSC
N/A
If you know your medival history chivalry originally made to help the aristocracy contol the commons by having knights who were looked upon in awe, as well as control many moral atrocities happening across the known world. In a sense, these knights and nobles were famous for their courtesy which wasn't too common at the time. However, the movement spread and chivarly became popular, thus it became a new form of common courtesy. So when you say that chivalry is a common courtesy you are right. The reason I say chivalry is mainly because it catches the attention of people.

Pace_T

HSC
i still believe in it, like i would get her to sit down 1st or open a door 4 her etc but i wouldnt go totaly out of my way to be that nice like opening the car door for her, thats a bit ovaboard.. i only did it coz she practically demanded it but in a joking way lol

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
I don't care much about chivalry, though I'd like if it comes naturally with his personality, rather than being done deliberately in an attempt to make girls swoon.

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Davriel said:
If you know your medival history chivalry originally made to help the aristocracy contol the commons by having knights who were looked upon in awe, as well as control many moral atrocities happening across the known world. In a sense, these knights and nobles were famous for their courtesy which wasn't too common at the time. However, the movement spread and chivarly became popular, thus it became a new form of common courtesy. So when you say that chivalry is a common courtesy you are right. The reason I say chivalry is mainly because it catches the attention of people.
Well, there you go. You learn something new everyday!

And yes, I'm a firm believer. But its not as large as it use to be :( :( :(

I like to think I'm curtious (how ever you spell it) I open doors for people, give my seat on the bus/train to elderly, let the elderly go infront of my in ques, help my mum when ever possible etc etc etc.

*I seem like a twit now, dont I?

Davriel

HSC
N/A
P_Dilemma said:
I prefer Japanese Code of Bushido.

Chivalry is funny.

-P_D
That is something I'd definitely agree with.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Chivalry is for people who want to end up on the 'friends' list.

grue

HSC
Someone's kid son once said, "I like the stories [fairytales] and that but why can't the princess save herself once in a while?" :rofl:

ccc123

HSC
I'm a sucker for chivalry. But some of my friends find it patronising and affronting, so thats rather odd..does anyone feel the same way as them? Do you feel patronised or belittled when a guy opens a door for you? 0_o

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Chivalry is for stupid assholes.
So is courtesy, and doing anything nice for anyone ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)