The 1998 Patrick Stevedores Waterfront Dispute (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Does anyone know about this dispute?

Would u please be able to give me the main idea of it

i have chosen this dispute for my assessment on emp relations

I have done heaps of research and feel im on information overload! :eek:

what i have to do is:
Present a clearly written Business Report of your investigation and analysis. This should be no more than 1,200 – 1,400 words in length (4 x A4 pages). Your report must include:

· Part 1
A description of the dispute and the parties involved (600 – 700 words)

· Part 2

An analysis of how the conflict was handled by the Business involved in the dispute (600 – 700 words)

Any assitance would be appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/cib/1997-98/98cib15.htm

Basically the Waterfront Union of AUstralia vs Patrick Stevedores.

Partick wanted workers to negotiate AWAs but the union opposed this.

Patrick then locked out workers from one of the melbourne docks.

Entire workforce sacked.

Patrick leases the docks out to another company who begins training contractual staff to replace the sacked employees.

Unions went to the federal court to apply for an injunction on the workers been sacked.

Workers picket.

Patrick goes to the federal court to apply for an injunction to get the entrances to the ports cleared.

The response to the first part is pretty straight forward. No analysis required, just what happened. (above)

Now your response to part b would focus on the business' actions and why they were taken and your assesment of wether they were appropriate. (i.e sacking workforce etc)

Last edited:

mitch47

HSC
hey
i hav an assessment on the waterfront dispute this week ours is in short answer format though

if it helps i am doing a question on stakeholders involved in the dispute and i have included Stevedore, Waterfront, Maritime Union of Australia (resisted legislative changes from Howard govt.) and also the role of the govt.

Apparently there was a show titled Bastard Boys that reenacted the events so that mite help

include dispute resolution processes, costs and benefits and different parties' perspectives on conflict

tc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)