That whole UWS taboo. (1 Viewer)

Ingypingy

HSC
Hi ho. I just had this brainwave that I want to do Industrial Design. At UTS, the UAI is 81.35, and UNSW it is 80.00. Why then is UWS 70.00?! Is that a refelection on the course and the kind of people who do it? I mean, 10 points is a fair bit...

Also, UWS seems to have this weird taboo surrounding it about being second rate... I don't know why. Maybe it is just snobbery, but is there anything to the idea?

Taa heaps!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
The UWS degrees aren't as recognised as say, a UNSW or UTS degree because the university is relatively new.

The UAI is lower, because less people want to do the degree at UWS than at other unis. It isn't necessarily a reflection on how 'good' or 'bad' the course is.

The snobbery about UWS is probably due to it being a newer university, like I said before, and also due to its location in the western suburbs of Sydney. Compared to other unis which are located conveniently near major areas (e.g. UTS, UNSW and USYD are all close to the CBD), UWS is a hell of a lot harder to get to if you live in metropolitan Sydney.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
UAI cutoffs don't reflect the course in any way, only the demand for said course. a high demand course with few places will have a sky-high cutoff, whereas a low demand course with lots of places will have a low cutoff.
people dont like UWS just because of the WS factor.

mishka

HSC
N/A
babydoll_ said:
The snobbery about UWS is probably due to it being a newer university, like I said before, and also due to its location in the western suburbs of Sydney. Compared to other unis which are located conveniently near major areas (e.g. UTS, UNSW and USYD are all close to the CBD), UWS is a hell of a lot harder to get to if you live in metropolitan Sydney.
I would consider Campbelltown, Bankstown, Penrith, Parra are part of metropolitan Sydney, but I see where you're coming from. It's mainly the trains that are the bugger. It's easy to get to Campbelltown by car though - I should know!!! Just follow the M5 straight down the line.... 40 mins tops from CBD. ;)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
remember that the cutoff is the person with the lowest uai in that course.

the course will have say 100 places, and the cut-off for that year will be the 100th lowest uai from that group.

so you could have the 99th uai of 95.00 and the 100th uai of 70.00, and the cut-off would still be 70.00, so you cant say that the cut-off determines the canditure, but in reality, it serves as a pretty accurate measure.

the cut-off isnt divised to reflect on the course and the type of people who do it, theoretically. but you can make inferences.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Mm, exactly redruM.

I'm at UWS and we have people in our course who got UAI's of 90+ and the cut-off UAI was 75.

I've studied at both UNSW and UWS (pfft, I left UNSW for UWS) and I don't see what uni you go has to do with anything as long as you're studying what you want and are happy about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)