that stung... ESTIMATE your mark!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

estimate your mark!!!!!

• 0-10% (i just sat the exam for fun)

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 30-40% im average

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 40-50% im average

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • 70-80% im a freak

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • 80-90% im also a freak

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • i love maths%(>90)

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters

macca202

That 4u mathss exam sucked! wel thats what i thought anyway. ifound the start of the paper resonable but i stuffed Q. 6, only got some marks (some angle bullshit) in Q. 7 and Q.8 was virtually a non attempt (0/15). So what did everyone else think???
i probably got somthing extremely bad like 35%!! thats my estimate. i reakon the average will be about 45%, hopefully...

natman, u steven nat from veiw?

NATMAN

Yes macca, it's me, natman. I didn't go as well as i would've thought either today....

:'( :'( :'( .... can't believe i went that badly :(

drolle

I actually didn't find that test too bad, because I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the test so as soon as I spent more than 2 minutes per mark I skipped the question.... which worked well until I blew my last 15 minutes on a 3 marker GRRRR!

but at least I had answered 3/4 of the test already before that, so I figure I proabably got about 60% (I am the king of careless errors), which is not too bad considering the amount of work I put in to the subject (about 20 hours total of homework and study combined for the whole year, 4 of which were for this exam).

@underthesun, I'm not sure, but I'd say since the average scaled mark for 4u last year was 88, 70% is probably mid-high 90s.

Well good luck everyone in 3unit tomorrow! :)

spice girl

magic mirror
depends how well others do...

they do well: scale less
do shit: scale more.

That's why you should always hope for a hard test.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmm... so nobody's also a freak??? I think it says something about the questions in the exam.. I mean, really there should be at least someone in the 80-90% range if the question were evenly ranged in difficulty.

spicegirl: I hope this was relatively hard too...

macca202

i think it just shows that the ppl in 90-100% are full of themselves!!!!, and everyone else is being kind of honest. Any way, the paper is ment to get harder as it goes along. Yeah ppl will but with only 20 or so votes, UNLIKELY.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
depends how well others do...

they do well: scale less
do shit: scale more.

That's why you should always hope for a hard test.
Actually, it's the opposite... you'll be scaled up if the people in your course tend to do well in all the courses they take (high level of competition).

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Lazarus
Actually, it's the opposite... you'll be scaled up if the people in your course tend to do well in all the courses they take (high level of competition).
But you'll be scaled more if you get an 80% in a blody hard test, than if you get an 80% in a piss-easy one...?

gaea

...piss easy anyone??

i'm surprised at what sum of u rote....i think the 90+ ppl aren't full of themselves...if u did work according to the syllabus, the exam was really easy (soory if this pisses off others!)
the end q's, Q8 was actuaallly not hard at all, but i couldn't do Q8 a)ii- anyone get the deduction of roots?

i think i did worse in 3u than 4u (RAW) i got some really dumb answers, which is detrimental cos its only out of 84. crap!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
But you'll be scaled more if you get an 80% in a blody hard test, than if you get an 80% in a piss-easy one...?
No... the difficulty of the course (or the exam) has nothing to do with it.

Courses aren't scaled according to their difficulty (that's just a myth). A course will be scaled up if it is taken by students who tend to do well in all the courses they take. This is due to the fact that, for any particular student in that course, there is a high level of competition. Remembering that the UAI is a rank - it will be more difficult to get a high ranking in a course taken by students who do well than in a course taken by students who tend to not do so well.

It just so happens that most of the 'difficult' courses are taken by students who tend to do well, and so it seems as though they are scaled up because they are difficult, but in reality this is not the case.

Your personal performance on the exam has very little impact on the scaling any specific course, unless the candidature size happens to be quite small (as is the case for some of the LOTE courses).

Dumbarse

lazarus - "No... the difficulty of the course (or the exam) has nothing to do with it. "

how does this work then??
i mean u should get some credit for doing harder subjects
otherwise if u go avergae, and someone else kills their shit easy subjects,. will their UAI be better?!

kaseita

The scaling is based on the overall performance of the candidates. If the candidature in a certain course, does very well in most of their subjects, then that subject will be scaled up quite high.
What you'll find is that in the easier subject, whilst they may ace it, they will do comparatively poorer in their other subjects. Most of the candidature for that subject also, won't do as well, and will do quite poorly(relatively) in the rest of their subjects compared to the rest of the state. So say, for General maths, the scaling will be lower.
Plus, no one person can do every single easy subject, since I don't believe there are that many "easy" subjects to choose from. Plus, everyone does english, so english is going to pull them down anyway if they're no good.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Dumbarse
otherwise if u go avergae, and someone else kills their shit easy subjects,. will their UAI be better?!
In the old HSC, that would have been the case. One of the only aspects of the scaling system that has changed with the advent of the new HSC is the closure of that loophole. You can't 'dumb down' now by doing easier subjects and getting higher marks. Kaseita is correct.

sleepy

lazarus is right
geeeeez didnt u ppl read any shit abt scalin b4???

anyway abt the exam i skipped 40 marks didnt touch q 7 or q8
ermmm time management and lost 2 marks some where else so my max is 65%... actually i thought the 1st 5 qs were ok but somehow i spent 2hrs 55 mins on it and i had to go to piss so didnt do much of q6...

oh well so wat would 65% raw scale to?? would that be band 6
or is it e4 or sth..

macca202

Originally posted by sleepy
lazarus is right
actually i thought the 1st 5 qs were ok but somehow i spent 2hrs 55 mins on it and i had to go to piss so didnt do much of q6...
come on kieran, hold it in!! hey in th trial u didnt do the last 2 Qs either and u still got over 60%. interesting exam approach...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)