textual integrity (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
could someone please explain what this is and how you relate it to critical studies of texts?
thanks

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
It was explained to me that textual integrity measures how well a book sticks to the characteristics of its genre.

I'll give you an example. For "Critical Study of Texts", my school is doing 'wild swans' by Jung Chang. The book mixes together a lot of genres - parts of it are autobiographical, some of it is historic, parts are feminist material.

Hence, the book's textual integrity is questionable because it doesn't conform to any one genre.

I hope that didnt confuse you further =)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
so basically its saying does the book do what its supposed to do? and in your example, when you say the integrity is questionable, is that because there are many genres? if it was written well as an autobiography would it have its textual integrity?
thanks

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
so basically its saying does the book do what its supposed to do?
I learnt textal integrity with King Lear...we were told to look for integrity in the readings - to see if they were believable when compared to the original, and basicially if you could find enough evidence and it was believable, it had integrity, but if they just said lots of stuff off wacko stuff that didn't really comes from the play, and had no quotes or anything as proof, then it wasn't.

I suppose with an autobiography you would also consider its believability - is it a true account of what that person did, or are they being melodramatic/showing off/making stuff up ? Does their history of whatever conflict with the real facts ?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
shepherd just said: to ensure textual integrity, dun go off tangents when looking at readings and warp/twist the text to suit your own particular reading, ie. give acceptable evidence for everything

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
DOWN WITH SBHS ENGLISH DEPARTMENT!:chainsaw:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Frigid
DOWN WITH SBHS ENGLISH DEPARTMENT!:chainsaw:
Likewise with my school =)

Anyway, yes. The textual integrity of my text was questionable, because it mixed up too many genres. A text which has textual integrity follows one genre and sticks with it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ezzy, go to the school forums, the "studies" part and click on "wtf is textual integrity?" I wrote something that mite help us all.

God pray.

jayz

walking
i was told by many of my school teachers that textual integrity is the ability of the text to be universalily related to different contexts.

i am wrong:confused:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i had the vague impression that textual integrity was the effectivness of the speeches themselves, in usign techniques to achieve their purpose...

out teacher mentioned it once.. then we moved on... ???
(hehe... maybe i moved on... zoned out in class... not impossible...)

the focus is much more on context and reception though.

DC10

in simple terms, textual intergrity is the VALIDITY of the text (the criticism)

e.g. how valid is the christian reading/interpretation of Lear? is the christian interpretation contradictory itself?

consider the validity of the Christian reading,

when Gloucester says,
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport

or

'the gods are just, and of our pleasant vices make instruments to plague us.' and
'This judgements of the heavens, makes us tremble, touches us not with pity'

and also,
when Albany says, 'the god defend here!' and the next line, Lear enters with Cordelia (dead) in his arms?

here's just something to think about :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)