Textual Integrity ??? (1 Viewer)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
:jaw:Will somebody tell me what textual integrity is? :hammer:
I'm confused and everybody's telling me diff answer + my 'teacher' :angry:hasn't taught me anything! Help? Please? Somebody explain? Before I explode? :bomb: :burn: :ninja: :pain: :cold:

graduateof08

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
In simpler words, it is the meaning you derive from the text - 'what do you think this play is actually about' (i.e. readings), and how are they supported by textual evidence (in terms of plot, character, LFAF ... they're all language techniques).

You need to have a definite idea of what YOU think the play is about, and make sure that it is sustainable through the course of the text.
i disagree, i dont think its what its about so much, but instead how it has been put together, like the stucture of the text; peices of information that at bought up at the start and answered later on; motifs etc. in other words what holds it together. i guess this does involve content aswell, but when you are talking about content you still need to focus on how this is holding the text together-providing unity.

i hope this helps...i dont know if i have said it very clearly..:uhoh: ...ask if you need more clarification.

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
What makes a text "good"
like;
-its ability to be appreciated by a variety of audiences with different social conexts, that is, the readings and the meaning YOU and others gain from the text. you need a clear idea of how you yourself understand and take the text. this can be influenced by other readings, like feminist, but is fundamentally your own.
-literary style. how its written, the techniques, motifs, themes
-content. is it enduring? why? what is it that makes us read shakespeare or harwood today still? this will connect closely with the two latter points.

thats my understanding of it briefly.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
How the text as a whole is constructed so that you can draw out meaning.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
The definition of textual integrity in the syllabus is "The unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value."
The above is the most correct definition of textual integrity.

More simply, it is just textual unity.

It is a concept that suggests that every element of the text contributes to the whole, ie each theme, technique, language feature or scene has significance to the big picture, and helps create unity and cohesion in the text.

N

Nicola1616

I understand your confusion - the explanations so far could be applied to any crappy text. It's like if it has some 'stuff' in it then it has intergrity. I think the most useful explanation would be an example of something that lacks integrity! Sadly I haven't found one. I guess you could say that in Othello, something like the time disparity between the action ie Desdemona's supposed affair all takes place in about three days - you could argue that this threatens textual integrity but then again from a performance perspective it heightens and condenses dramatic tension. I mean really, just because I might think that a text lacks something or could have done something differently - does that mean it lacks 'textual integrity'? CLearly not, it's very nebulous jargon.
I find that the best use of this phrase is when your doing your unit on critical study. A feminist 'king lear' or 'othello' for example may say lots of things, and pose many interesting questions about patriarchy but when you look back at Shakespeare's original - is the integrity of that text maintained. More to the point, what is necessarily sacrificed? Does this add or detract from the text in your view - anyway, that's my thoughts - cheers.

kelzvieira

HSC
Inegrity on its own is defined as undiminished and whole, so textual integrity would be all the parts that make up the text in order to make it a whole. That is, techniques, themes, motifs, etc. Essentially, it would be "what adds to the worth of this text?". Also, in discussing textual integrity you would need to focus on, not just the elements of the text, but how they are recieved by different groups, eg: religious/spiritual view, femenist view, post-colonial view, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)