Can anyone help with Textiles?

• Textiles Question

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Please help

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Samantharose

HSC
hey im doing an assignment for textiles at the moment and was wondering if someone could help me out?????
it's a written report and i have to include the following.....

*select one costume and
Analyse the functional criteria-
how is the design of the item suited to the end-use? refering to design structure and manufacturing techniques.

Account of textile properties and performance-
by investigating the fibre, yarn and fabric properties as well as fabric finishes used.

Suitability of end-use-
justify the relationship between fibre, yarn, fabric and fabric finishes used and the end-use of the item

Iam really stuck on this one and i can't even find a costume with good enough pictures and list of materials used, any ideas or help, i would really appreciate thank you :)

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
hmm sounds like a hard one to research
you should ask your teacher to give suggestions of good costumes to study. i, myself, have no idea.
hehe just ask whether you could make it up so you could write down hypothetically what design/fabric/etc would be practical.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Samantharose
hey im doing an assignment for textiles at the moment and was wondering if someone could help me out?????
it's a written report and i have to include the following.....

*select one costume and
Analyse the functional criteria-
how is the design of the item suited to the end-use? refering to design structure and manufacturing techniques.

Account of textile properties and performance-
by investigating the fibre, yarn and fabric properties as well as fabric finishes used.

Suitability of end-use-
justify the relationship between fibre, yarn, fabric and fabric finishes used and the end-use of the item

Iam really stuck on this one and i can't even find a costume with good enough pictures and list of materials used, any ideas or help, i would really appreciate thank you :)
Well, select a costume... I'd suggest to do a popular movie costume that you can find out something about, or a celebrity outfit on the red carpet, or wedding dress, etc, then analyse its functional criteria, which should be a fairly small list, because its costume (ie. more aesthetic features than functional) Talk about its design and manufacturing techniques and why they've been used - like french seams in a wedding dress, hand stitched hems, invisible zips, etc.

Then find out about the fabric/yarn/fibre, and analyse those properties according to the end product... eg. use of chiffon/silk/georgette for dresses, leather for theatrical costume - then the finishes on them

Good luck~!

pennielane

dont forget...functional requirements of a theatrical costume might be how easy it is to put on and take off...ie...using velcro instead of fiddly hooks etc..
and also if it needs to be used in alot of performances then it has to be strong and durable...
also if it is to be worn alot, then it will need to be washed frequently...so fabrics that can be machine washed and dont crease easily are useful....
and maybe fade resistant in strong stage lights?

you could maybe go to a costume hire shop and ask to look at a couple of the costumes..if they are nice they might let you take photos....?

good luck!
pen xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)