Textbooks (1 Viewer)

thebach

HSC
Just want to ask has anyone actually gone to the university and bought the textbooks. Im not sure whether to buy them now or wait till O-week. What's your opinion on that? People ive spoke to have said just get the notes off the my uni website because some text books are useless???

tennille

HSC
Wait till you get a list of your texts. I think it's during the first few lectures you have. The lecturers might tell you other reference books that might be useful.

I'd try to get 2nd hand textbooks as well.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i have most of my books. you can get the list of books needed from the handbooks for each school. or off the school websites

thebach

HSC
I have the list of textbooks to but just worried that if i buy them they might not be required. I need like 10 textbooks for the whole year so if i am going to buy the textbooks ill buy first semester books first.

thebach

HSC
I Just called the bookshop she goes just wait till O-Week and make sure you got the right book list then buy it then. They said they got hundreds of first year books so they wont run out. Since oyur doing advanced science its easier for you to find what textbooks you need from the handbooks. But for pharmacy its a bit more complicated.

thebach

HSC
anyways cant wait till O-week might see you there at that BOS meet up if it goes to plan .Thanx for replying

thebach

HSC
its on your enrollmet booket we got on enrolment day with the units of subject on it.
The textbook names are under the descriptions of each unit.
If you cant find it its ok just wait till O-week we will get the right book list and give advice on which books to buy and which to not. So i wouldnt rush about it now with 1 week to go till orientation week.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
thebach said:
its on your enrollmet booket we got on enrolment day with the units of subject on it.
The textbook names are under the descriptions of each unit.
If you cant find it its ok just wait till O-week we will get the right book list and give advice on which books to buy and which to not. So i wouldnt rush about it now with 1 week to go till orientation week.
ta, the list was sitting right infront of me all along :p

thanks again :D see you at orientation!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
thebach said:
Just want to ask has anyone actually gone to the university and bought the textbooks. Im not sure whether to buy them now or wait till O-week. What's your opinion on that? People ive spoke to have said just get the notes off the my uni website because some text books are useless???
I bought my physics book from the co-op shop near UTS, and my maths notes from Kopy Stop on Mountain St off Broadway.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
withoutaface said:
I bought my physics book from the co-op shop near UTS, and my maths notes from Kopy Stop on Mountain St off Broadway.
cool where are you up too in phys? and What maths lectures did u get/how much do they cost?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Haven't started reading physics, that's for when semester starts mate;)

Oh and maths cost me ~$10 each for vectors, and linear algebra notes, both of which required for MATH1902, and I've already done most of the linear stuff from the Macquarie notes I was using on the boring 10+ hour train trips to and from Brisbane during the holidays.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
withoutaface said:
Haven't started reading physics, that's for when semester starts mate;)

Oh and maths cost me ~$10 each for vectors, and linear algebra notes, both of which required for MATH1902, and I've already done most of the linear stuff from the Macquarie notes I was using on the boring 10+ hour train trips to and from Brisbane during the holidays.
oh yeah are the macquarie ones by william chen, ive done some of them too, they are pretty good actually, hey i got a question, for matricies, is there like a quicker way than trial and error in eliminating the coefficients to make the matrix in the row-echelon or reduced row echelon form?

i cant seem to eliminate everything, the more i reduce it, the more one of the numbers increase, itll be like almost red. row echelon form, but some numbers 3, 4 and one like 120 or something, and it is not entirely conventional.

edit: what were u doing in brisbane?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I just reduce it to a point where further reduction looks pointless/more difficult than it's worth and solve the array. I was in Brisbane for holidays (one return trip).

cko

HSC
yeh im doin pharm n im thinkn second hand books. my only concern is that wot if this year's edition has been changed...

thebach

HSC
yeh cko i called the faculty of pharmacy today and the lady told that us pharmacist students to wait till lectures start. Since some textbooks might be changing or not needed. So she said its better to be safe to wait till lectures start to get the right and updated booklist.
And about the prices the second hand books are 70 per cent the price of the brand new books. So if the brand new one costs 100 dollars second hand is 70 dollars. So i might as well get the brand new ones only minor difference and get a better quality book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)