Textbooks recommendations (1 Viewer)

felafel

i think that past papers should be for revision, not learning, and that textbook work is for learning

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Calculon whats wrong with Maths in Focus?
- the only thing I can think of is the lack of difficult questions - they have challenge exercises though that are much harder than what would be in any two unit test. The examples are clear - in HSC Cambridge a lot of the work is for 4Unit people, so that it why it is so difficult - Cambridge is also at times unclear and verbose whereas Maths in Focus is succinct and simple.
Maths in Focus is difficult enough for those not planning to do 4 Unit IMHO.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
maths in focus is easyer 2 read then fitzpatrick or caronius.. but its a lot simpler n less challanging
Yeh for a lazy person like me maths in Focus is not a very good book because too much explaination and too less hard questions. The book actually puts me off from doing my maths homework (bad guys, don't do it cos you need to catch up before exams)
I normally just understand the concepts and formulas, do a few Qs in Maths In Focus then grab an Excel book to do question. It's better, in my opinion.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JamiL
but its a lot simpler n less challanging
that means its a bad textbook

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
We're using Jones and Couchmann and Maths in Focus
But other study guides at home we're recommended to use are Coroneus and Fitz...Cambridge too but some of that content is apparently irrelevant.

:kaz.n:

HSC
hey every1
i use cambridge and i find it pretty shit...alot of irellevant material and u cant learn from the book, the worked examples are hard to understand
i was told fitzy was the way to go..

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Cambridge might be verbose but at least it's authors have a clue as to what's going on... I'm not so sure about the author of Maths In Focus.

Cambridge just doesn't have enough questions (of the sort you want/need).

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
I don't really like Maths In Forcus that much because they have so much unimportant facts that are not even related to 2U/3U maths. They are just trying to do them in to make the book look thick I reckon. (Since MIF has 2 books for both 2U and 3U maths.)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Without Wings
agreed! we use tim riley at skool, but i also got leadin edge (hasd prelim n now hav hsc) which is quite good, those 2 combined are a gr8 combo...n for HSC eco the dixon ones are also handy
ahh a quick correction of my avid reccomendations :p...i might not be so quick to reccomend dixon now...when we start creeping into the end of economic issues and beginning of policies and management, he steers RIGHT AWAY from the syllabus and goes on about crap...a combo of the two is the best

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by (^o^)
I don't really like Maths In Forcus that much because they have so much unimportant facts that are not even related to 2U/3U maths. They are just trying to do them in to make the book look thick I reckon. (Since MIF has 2 books for both 2U and 3U maths.)
MIF also has waaaay too easy exercises...

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
MIF also has waaaay too easy exercises...
yup, totally agree, that's why I just do the last few questions of each exercise, their chapter reviews and then grab my Excel and do those questions =)
oh yeh , by the way, anyone got the Prelim Excel book for Chemistry? If yes, is it good? Cos I found the Physics one pretty good, but it doesn't have every single "dot point" tho, apparently.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Anyone got recommendations for non-sciency/maths subjects? i.e. histories, art, society n culture etc?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by PaleReflection
Anyone got recommendations for non-sciency/maths subjects? i.e. histories, art, society n culture etc?

well republic to reich for the modern history national study for sure :D

if you end up doing germany for modern and u don't hear about that book, beat the crap out of ur teacher :p

blitzacer

HSC
thanks for replying guys

i've thought of getting a maths book that has worked out solutions in them to help me if i don't understand...does anyone know of any? thanks =)

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Well Excel Ext 1. prelim has worked solutions to every question (the only excel maths book I've owned but I assume the others would be similar) - The only other source I can think of is past HSC papers (they always have worked solutions)... though might be a bit early for that ;)

Kuya

Originally posted by Sarah168
i personally reccomend leading edge for economics. some ppl dont like the style but check it out and then decide. the prelim eco is abit long winded and wordy but the hsc one is good
yupz. i bought this one. very good.

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Are you referring to the leading edge theory book "global economy" - Dixon or the workbook. I want info on the workbook namely - should I get it:p
Dixon prelim is very good - I never felt the need to get a study guide - nor do I now in Year 12 - mix with Riley and its great:D

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Kuya
yupz. i bought this one. very good.

read my little correction on my thoughts on Dixon's book ;) its on this page

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)