• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Textbook Maths in Focus (1 Viewer)

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Maths In Focus is an excellent textbook for people like me who had went up and down classes and missed topics in class, it is really good if you want to teach yourself stuff. Since the majority of it is 2U, it's easy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sure, why not. I'd suggest Fitzpatrick and Cambridge... but if you are self learning, sure.

mioumiou

HSC
So is MIF a good book to use with Cambridge?
Most of the people would say Cambridge is the best with Fitzpatrick, but MIF is a good a for understanding the concepts for new topics. But if you think MIF is too easy than don't buy it. There's more comments about maths textbooks... maybe you can have a look!

2U (but also have ext. 1 and 2)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/12/mathematics/91726/comparison-textbooks.html
Ext. 1
http://community.boredofstudies.org/13/mathematics-extension-1/127625/best-most-useful-textbook.html
Ext.2
http://community.boredofstudies.org...on-2/125560/comparison-maths-ext-2-books.html

jet

Banned
HSC
I don't like maths in focus, though it was my school textbook.

I tutor from my own notes/knowledge (when I don't have my notes with me) and sometimes do examples out of cambridge.

Cambridge = good, rigourous text book.
Fitzpatrick = hard problems for after knowledge is obtained.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't like maths in focus, though it was my school textbook.

I tutor from my own notes/knowledge (when I don't have my notes with me) and sometimes do examples out of cambridge.

Cambridge = good, rigourous text book.
Fitzpatrick = hard problems for after knowledge is obtained.
I'd have to agree but I don't think enough people give Jones & Couchman enough credit for their textbook. It's not the best book to find HSC style questions (nor is any textbook) but it is an excellent learning book and has some decent difficulty questions as you progress.

That said, past papers are the best resources for study.

The Nomad

HSC
Honestly, I think we should boycott that lady that wrote MIF. I would be embarassed to be the person who wrote that book.

mioumiou

HSC
Honestly, I think we should boycott that lady that wrote MIF. I would be embarassed to be the person who wrote that book.
HAHAHA!! I would be a bit embarrassed too. Seriously, I think the level of the Ext. 1 course can be used as the 2 Unit course. (even though I've said "something" good about the book in my previous post...... :mad1:)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Couchman and Jones? I admit some of the questions are good... but it's so big!

jet

Banned
HSC
I've used Couchman and Jones once, in which I did one question about graphing a catenary because I was bored in the prelim class I was stuck in because as an accelerant I didn't get study periods in year 11. I can't really say much about it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Couchman and Jones? I admit some of the questions are good... but it's so big!
Which one? The orange 3U book? That's because it contains the Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 course.

And it's set out neatly... no need for cramming.

mioumiou

HSC
I've used Couchman and Jones once, in which I did one question about graphing a catenary because I was bored in the prelim class I was stuck in because as an accelerant I didn't get study periods in year 11. I can't really say much about it.
Doesn't it has a bunch of straight forward questions in that book? But I still think Cambridge has the best and the most questions ever! (but without work solutions :()

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Which one? The orange 3U book? That's because it contains the Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 course.

And it's set out neatly... no need for cramming.
Well, there is an orange book and then the blue book as well - Book 1 and 2. Unless I'm missing something when they put the Book 2 (blue) into the big orange Book 1...

mioumiou

HSC
Well, there is an orange book and then the blue book as well - Book 1 and 2. Unless I'm missing something when they put the Book 2 (blue) into the big orange Book 1...
No... I'm sure that they're separated.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I meant when they put the Book 2 blue information into the orange Book 1...

Their method is confusing, although I agree - the set up is nice and ordered, and not squished like Cambridge.

mioumiou

HSC
I meant when they put the Book 2 blue information into the orange Book 1...

Their method is confusing, although I agree - the set up is nice and ordered, and not squished like Cambridge.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you've meant....

MATHSCAPE

HSC
I have Jones&Couchman's 3U Book 1, it only has 2U topics. :(

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sorry, I misunderstood what you've meant....
I meant their 3 unit stuff is confusing. They have the Orange Book 1 and then the Blue Book 2. Then they have for 2 unit, the Green book, and I'm not sure how they set out the 3u stuff. They spread it over the orange and blue books, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)