Text Types We Need to Know for English HSC (1 Viewer)

Zephyrio

HSC
Hey, I was just looking through some past English papers and trials and whatnot, and I found that Advanced English is not all essay writing.

Of course, the bulk is essay writing, then there are short stories. But what other text types might examiners ask us to write? I think I saw a feature article and interview once, though I can't say for sure.

Any ideas, anyone?

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Feature article
Interview
Creative Writing
Speech
Script

Those are all that come to mind as of now.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Letters could also be asked.

cccclaire

HSC
My friend said a few years ago they asked them to write an msn conversation.
Please tell me this isn't true.

Zephyrio

HSC
^ Hahahahahahaha.

That's funny.

Hmmm. I guess it'd be a good idea to look at these text types again lol.

LottoX, you said that they don't really specifiy text-types... hmm, well, does a question with "discuss" mean that we have to write a discussion? I'm confused.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
cccclaire said:
My friend said a few years ago they asked them to write an msn conversation.
Please tell me this isn't true.
if they did how does the examiner know what wtf, rofl, lol, gtg,ttyl etc means??

HSC
lol there's no msn conversations in the hsc!

they can ask you heapsa different text types. they can ask you to do an interview, feature article, a conversation, a speech, radio transcript, er i can't think of any more :eek:. i know my school hadta do heaps of those during the internals to get the hang of writing different

they will only ask you to do a creative writing piece in the area of study part.

the past two years its pretty much been all essays, although if i remember right there was an exposition last year (that's more or less an essay anyway).

HSC
Zephyrio said:
LottoX, you said that they don't really specifiy text-types... hmm, well, does a question with "discuss" mean that we have to write a discussion? I'm confused.
chances are you probably will.

yosemite sam

HSC
our teacher said that if they ask us to just write an essay then we've hit the jackpot...they usually ask for things like feature articles, letters, scripts for a radio/tv interview, emails, conversations, brochures, websites, anything really. and you dont have to go really into detail when you write them, just have the basic format (date and dear so-and-so for a letter, write who is talking for a convo) so that they can give you marks for it. that help?

cccclaire

HSC
watatank said:
lol there's no msn conversations in the hsc!
oh good.
Because we had to do one in one of our internal papers and I was complaining about how stupid it is and my friend said they had to do it in the HSC. I wasn't really sure whether to believe her or not.

They put in some wierd stuff into our school certificate english paper last year. One of our stimulus things was an instruction booklet =/

HSC
wait a second...when i say there's no msn conversations i mean they don't ask you to write things that would be in a normal msn conversation like "lol" and "btw" and "wtf" and all that. however they can ask you to write a conversation between students discussing a certain topic, which is fairly informal piece of writing.

cccclaire

HSC
oh ok.

conversations are so lame in those things.
because you have to put material that people would probably never discuss into a casual conversations.
like "hi, whats your opinion on the authors use of technique in this book?"

cs01001

HSC
cccclaire said:
oh good.
Because we had to do one in one of our internal papers and I was complaining about how stupid it is and my friend said they had to do it in the HSC. I wasn't really sure whether to believe her or not.

They put in some wierd stuff into our school certificate english paper last year. One of our stimulus things was an instruction booklet =/
LOL, Yeah, an insruction booklet on how to operate a n00bstik controller for a console. SC reminds me of the bridge question :rofl:

Zephyrio

HSC
Rofl. Yeah. I've also found feature articles to be rather lame because it's just an essay hidden under the guise of a "funny, warm, conversational" kind of piece. Who the hell writes about language techniques in feature articles? LOL.

cccclaire

HSC
cs01001 said:
LOL, Yeah, an insruction booklet on how to operate a n00bstik controller for a console. SC reminds me of the bridge question :rofl:
ohh that stupid bridge speech.
Mine was so sickingly inspirational and corny.
I was trying not to laugh as I was writing it.
examiner must have liked it though =/

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
lol @ SC bridge question. But I still reckon it was a good question compared to the ones given in past papers.

cs01001

HSC
LOL, I just didn't know what to put down for that question when I saw a human bridge, just went back to the website question and came back to it in the end. If only I sat in the back where supervisors couldn't see, could have filled in a couple more circles :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Haha, what was it again? A speech? That text type might appear in our HSC paper again ;)

Off-topic: Did SIMO get banned? When was this?

cccclaire

HSC
Kujah said:
Haha, what was it again? A speech? That text type might appear in our HSC paper again ;)

Off-topic: Did SIMO get banned? When was this?
yeh speeches are pretty good text-types to get. They're be one of my preferred ones. =]

I don't think he's banned but i hope he is, hes an idiot.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cccclaire said:
yeh speeches are pretty good text-types to get. They're be one of my preferred ones. =]

I don't think he's banned but i hope he is, hes an idiot.
Yeah, I love writing speeches and letters as well (especially letters to the editor)

The holiday thread and the science thread within the prelim forum were closed due to excessive spam/innappropriate posts.

I will be reopening the holiday thread tomorrow, and Kujah please lay back on the spamming.
That science thread will be locked forever, but the holiday one should be opened today...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)