Test your knowledge !!! (1 Viewer)

funking_you

G'day Chem Students,

I have attached, (in this post) a 12 Question Multiple Choice Examination on Module 1.

It really just tests general concepts and facts that you SHOULD know by now if you have completed module one.
Complete it, then check your answers.
Use this as a simple test to measure your knowledge of module one, if you find it easy, your doing very well, if not, more revision is required.
Cheers,
George

ANSWERS: (posted 25/03/05)
1. D
2. B
3. C
4. A
5. B
6. D
7. D
8. A
9. A
10. B
11. A
12. A

Get the QUIZ here ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Thanks for that. Helps determine areas of weakness. :)

funking_you

G'day All

If you have completed the short quiz, and you need some help with any questions, post them here.

If you haven't completed the quiz, get it now from 1st post in this thread

Cheers,
George

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hey george, where do u contact bos regardin hsc q's??? cuz there's this q which i think is serzly wrong...

edit: which makes me extremely uncomfortable upon seein it every time...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
thank u so mcuh... that was an awesome exam... it gave me a good overview of what i needed to go back and revise....

once again thanks alot... any similar type of exams in the future will be greatly appreciated

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I just have a quick question about question nine... my text book says "the mixture should be kept about blood temperature, 37 degrees c" now, it's probably just me reading into the question way too much, but 37 doesn't lie between either 25-35 or 45-60...?

funking_you

Your more than correct, the reason i placed that question in there, yep believe it or not...it was in a HSC exam not too long ago.

What one needs to understand with that question, is that 37o is the IDEAL temperature for an IDEAL fermentation reaction (fermentation of pure glucose).

However i doubt many students or teachers could conduct such an ideal experiment, most school will ferment an apple for example, and all experiments will have been conducted at somewhere between 25-35o temp in the lab.

Do they expect you to know this?
Technically yes, since the fermentation reaction is a mandatory experiment/first-hand investigation.

Hope that helps

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
keke, sorry i had too much alcohol the nite before... really in a foul mood when i posted that... plz ignore that post...

lfc_reds2003

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

to easy, i dumped on that quiz

no book reference, just did it in my crumpet!

CHEM COACH, challenge me !

lfc_reds2003

neutrons: give mass n important for stability n are used in beta decay (change to proton + electron)

protons: basis of an element

electrons: electrical conductivity and reactivity

ne more values for each

my decision based on that would be...neutrons ??!!

Good q whats the answer

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
theChemCoach said:
Have a go at this one:

Q). What is the most important sub-atomic particle? Justify your answer.
Rephrased such that the student has a frame of reference to work with:

"What is the most industrially and medically important sub-atomic particle? Justify your answer."

The electron, as it is most readily liberated and manipulated. See electrochemical cells, beta decay of isotopes, neutralisation of ions, et cetera.

Even chemically, the concept of the electron is FAR more prevalent than that of the neutron or proton: pi bonds, electronegativity, electron cloud, et cetera.

That's a pretty general answer which would require some elaboration to work in an exam, I think.

Last edited:
HSC
theChemCoach said:
Have a go at this one:

Q). What is the most important sub-atomic particle? Justify your answer.
Neutron, because of its no charge it balances out the charge in atoms, without that all atoms would be ions

funking_you

Its great to see people have a go at this one.

The answer is....(drum roll)

the ELECTRON

the neutron is indeed the least significant of all sub-atomic particles.

From the responses, its clear your study nuclear chemistry played heavily on your responses.

Why electron?
Slide_Rule presented some really important point.

The location and number of electrons in an atom determine the reactivity of that atom, hence its chemical bonding, they determine the shape & geometry of the compounds the element will form...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Casmira said:
Neutron, because of its no charge it balances out the charge in atoms, without that all atoms would be ions
Tell me, are positronium, protonium and hydrogen-0 ions?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
theChemCoach said:
positronium, protonium and hydrogen-0 ions?

please explain
Lack of neutrons does not make something an ion, as Casmira implied.

Positronium: A positron (anti-electron) orbiting an electron, or vice versa - resembles hydrogen in most aspects except spectral lines, which is because of the decreased weight. NO NEUTRON, but not an ion.
Protonium: A proton and an anti-proton. As far as I know it is NOT similar to hydrogen. NO NEUTRON, but not an ion.
Hydrogen-0: An isotope of hydrogen without a neutron, leaving a proton and an electron. I not sure what it's actual name is - I forget, so I called it hydrogen-0. :)

EDIT: Changed 'nucleus' to 'neutron'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)