Tertiary Prep Certificate III (1 Viewer)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Anyone out there doing this course this year??

I am doing:
Biology
Chemistry
LALS
Language and Creative Arts
Maths

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
This course is the TAFE version of the HSC.

Personally i wouldn't do this course because if you wanted to get in to a high demand course eg. Medicine, Law etc than you would have no chance as they don't accept the TPC for entry purposes and they don't recognise it.

But i wish you luck for your studies and hope you get a high mark to get in to your desired uni course.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
one of my friends is doing it, not sure what subjects...she wants to do some social work thingie

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
yeah, I think that sucks, Mr. Wiggle - that you can't do tpc then medicine for eg.
Although in QLD they do - (I've spent at least 12 hours worth talking to TAFE about it) The chick on the phone said in QLD, if I wanted to go to UQ and do say...Vet Science, I'd have to do the QLD version of the TPC course, but make very clear at orientation or whatever that Vet sci is where I was aiming and specifically what uni so they can talk with the uni about what I need etc, b/c apparently they mould the subjects you've chosen (Obviously they're proper science/maths vet sci kinda ones!) to gain entry straight into vet sci.
It could be completly different with medicine etc......so don't quote me on that.
But I will be in a psychotic mood if I do a full year and UQ changes it's whole scheme of things (I wanna do Applied Science)

BTW - it isn't really a tafe version of the hsc...otherwise they wouldn't have the hsc course running each year... :p

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
yeah, I'm not sure about NSW uni's b/c I aint applying to them.....

I think what happens (lol we had our orientation like 4 hours ago and I still have no idea what it's completly about...*unorganised!!*)
is as you said, three subjects are marked - you're best 3 'B' subjects and out of 300 you get a mark, then they convert it into a uai mark - some girl in the paper this year got 255/300 for a TPC mark and got a UAI of 92 for it....I was so happy about that because they don't (I assume) scale you with everyone else they just scale your numbers.

That's why I'm doing 5 'B' subjects so I get the best possible chance!!!

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Well, just had my first official day of TAFE and I feel smart!
I actually understood what they were teaching me!!!

Not to be too hateful of my old school and the system, but I learnt more stuff in those few hours, than I ever did over the two years.

It's great! We were doing poetry and you know the usual jumble you have to write - simile, alliteration etc....well I used to suck at that, but what they did was start us off with a dead easy poem, then worked our way up to harder ones, and now I'm proud to say I have the confidence to write more than a line about the poem we've been given for homework - that's a HUUUUUGE step for me when it comes to poetry!

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Sounds very good.
Didn't the first day of TAFE started last week not today ??
Well i think TAFE is a very good environment to learn if school is not for you because of the relax atmosphere and teachers treating you more of an adult than school also you don't have to ask permission to leave the room when you can leave when you want to.

If you don't mine me asking MissMacbeth which TAFE are you doing this TPC at ???

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I totally agree with you on the whole different environment thing!!
For some weird reason all the other tafe courses started last week - we started today just to be different I guess....lol

The thing that freaks me out most is that there is dead silence in the class - everyone is shutting up and listening! It was like my ears were getting sore for an hour, straining to find familiar chattering in the back lol! Although there are a small handfull who decide that turning up an hour and a half late is the way to go - that annoys me....

I'm doing my TPC at Wollongbar campus - (In between Lismore and Alstonville......50min from Byron? 20min from Ballina? - eh, look on a map)

Have you done it before or are doing it now Mr. Wiggle? B/c I'd love to see everyone elses view on the course.

- Never thought I'd say this in a million years but I'm excited for tomorrows maths lesson! I know it's sad, but I really enjoyed just that drop of good teaching!!!

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MissMacbeth

The thing that freaks me out most is that there is dead silence in the class - everyone is shutting up and listening! It was like my ears were getting sore for an hour, straining to find familiar chattering in the back lol!

That had to be one of the most extreme opposite of what school used to be where every just sat in class and chatted while the teacher just kept on talking but.

Have you done it before or are doing it now Mr. Wiggle? B/c I'd love to see everyone elses view on the course.
No, i want to do it but for the course that i want to get in to it does not recognised/or accpets the TPC as an admission rank for entry.

- Never thought I'd say this in a million years but I'm excited for tomorrows maths lesson! I know it's sad, but I really enjoyed just that drop of good teaching!!!
That happens to everyone when they are surrounded by a different and new environment because they are curious even i'm excited of the next day.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
You're absolutly right about the whole environment thing.

Although I did have a bad day today in Chemistry. The subject and class was fine but two things, I almost died of starvation because the bloody canteen decided to close (Who the Fcuk closes a canteen at 2pm on a friday!!!!????) and also there's this chick who I need to kill - I think I attract waste-of-space ppl!
She talks (did it in maths for a while as well), never listens, usually wanders over to her poor friend who's trying to learn, what's to be a vet and she thinks she'll get in becuase her dog is on daily medication for the rest of its life..(LMFAO as if she would ever get in on that!) and finally, she decided to choose me as lab partner....ARGGGGGGHHHH! she litterally got EVERYTHING out whether it was needed in the experiment or not, copied off my notes that are to be marked, and decided to leave early so I had to clean up the crap she left on the table!! I WAS GOING TO STAB HER!!! arrrrrggggggHHHHHHHH!!!!!

But other than that, I'm following along nicely.

BTW - I borrowed the third edition of "Conquering Chemistry" and did find it had heaps of info, but no info relating to the hsc course exactly.... are there more than one type of CC?

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
anyone got any good ideas on how the hell to do "Surds" we had a random change of core in maths today...

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A

BTW - I borrowed the third edition of "Conquering Chemistry" and did find it had heaps of info, but no info relating to the hsc course exactly.... are there more than one type of CC?
CC is specificilty written for the HSC course and therefore i think you will find that it has all the info you need in there.

anyone got any good ideas on how the hell to do "Surds" we had a random change of core in maths today...
Well i think you should post your Question in one of the Maths forum. If you like post it here and i will try and answer it.

Originally posted by Dingo2004
so how does the UAI work with TPC?
the UAI that comes from the TPC will be the same as the HSC UAI but the method of that calculation i don't know as i don't do the course and know the method of calculation.
Maybe if you want to know you should go and ask one of the TPC coordinators at TAFE.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
the UAI is calculated the same way - but instead of going by 5 courses /10 units etc.... you get a score out of 300 - the Language and Learning Skills B (compulsory) is counted as one and then your two other best B subjects are put into the mix - so seperatly each subject is marked out of 100.
Then you are compared to the 59 or so other NSW TAFE students doing the course/subjects and you get scaled the same way as the UAI scales the HSC ppl....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)