Terry Tao public lecture (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Terry Tao is coming to Australia for a lecture tour.

He'll be giving a public lecture "Structure and randomness in the prime numbers" at UNSW in Leighton Hall, Scientia Building on Sept. 16, 6pm.

Details:

1-day meetings & lectures : Clay–Mahler lectures, University of NSW : Wed, September 16, 2009, 3:00 pm - 8:45 pm : Aust MS

Abstract:

God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on with the prime numbers — Paul Erdős.

The prime numbers are a fascinating blend of both structure (for instance, almost all primes are odd) and randomness. It is widely believed that beyond the obvious structures in the primes, the primes otherwise behave as if they were distributed randomly; this pseudorandomness then underlies our belief in many unsolved conjectures about the primes, from the twin prime conjecture to the Riemann hypothesis. This pseudorandomness has been frustratingly elusive to actually prove rigorously, but recently there has been progress in capturing enough of this pseudorandomness to establish new results about the primes, such as the fact that they contain arbitrarily long progressions. We survey some of these developments in this talk.

Notes: http://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/structure-and-randomness-in-the-prime-numbers.pdf

More on the tour:

UNSW's flyer: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/news/2009/TerryTao.pdf

Clay–Mahler lecture tour for 2009 : Aust MS

Last edited:

Musi_Zhang

HSC
N/A
Terry Tao is coming to Australia for a lecture tour.

He'll be giving a public lecture "Structure and randomness in the prime numbers" at UNSW in Leighton Hall, Scientia Building on Sept. 16, 6pm.

Details:

1-day meetings & lectures : Clay–Mahler lectures, University of NSW : Wed, September 16, 2009, 3:00 pm - 8:45 pm : Aust MS

Abstract:

God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on with the prime numbers — Paul Erdős.

The prime numbers are a fascinating blend of both structure (for instance, almost all primes are odd) and randomness. It is widely believed that beyond the obvious structures in the primes, the primes otherwise behave as if they were distributed randomly; this pseudorandomness then underlies our belief in many unsolved conjectures about the primes, from the twin prime conjecture to the Riemann hypothesis. This pseudorandomness has been frustratingly elusive to actually prove rigorously, but recently there has been progress in capturing enough of this pseudorandomness to establish new results about the primes, such as the fact that they contain arbitrarily long progressions. We survey some of these developments in this talk.

Notes: http://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/structure-and-randomness-in-the-prime-numbers.pdf

More on the tour:

Clay–Mahler lecture tour for 2009 : Aust MS

it says 'book is necessary'

actually i saw this from school news feed today
theres 400-ppl-lecture room,,,

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I need someone to tell me quickly:
  1. Is this only for uni students?
  2. Is this free?
Thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Amazing night. Met him and talked to him very briefly and got his signature. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Now this is another reason why UNSW's School of Mathematics and Statistics has a good reputation, even though Terry is a visiting professor.
Umm... Yeah, well obviously your unaware that he visited several universities (UniMelb,UniAdelaide, Monash, RMIT to name a few)around Australia. He was a visiting professor at all of them. Btw, all of which were free to public and no cost. Stop trying to talk up UNSW in every single post.

Musi_Zhang

HSC
N/A
Amazing night. Met him and talked to him very briefly and got his signature. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
i was wondering those who were surrounding him,,for what professional prime# question?

ok,,i just joined the free drink out of those nerds``:):guitar:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Umm... Yeah, well obviously your unaware that he visited several universities (UniMelb,UniAdelaide, Monash, RMIT to name a few)around Australia. He was a visiting professor at all of them. Btw, all of which were free to public and no cost. Stop trying to talk up UNSW in every single post.
*you're
You need to be aware of that.

Either way, UNSW has generally good teaching staff anyway.
YouTube - DrChrisTisdell's Channel

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
*you're
You need to be aware of that.

Either way, UNSW has generally good teaching staff anyway.
YouTube - DrChrisTisdell's Channel
ffs, people that correct others spelling etc are low. Look at some of the abbreviations going around, do you really think "your" instead of "you're" is of top priority. UMelb have a ten fold better Mathematics and Statistics department.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience, I'd say ANU has the best maths department (and I've checked out quite a few). Though clearly we're all a bit biased here... ;)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Then don't go to UNSW.

ffs, people that correct others spelling etc are low. Look at some of the abbreviations going around, do you really think "your" instead of "you're" is of top priority. UMelb have a ten fold better Mathematics and Statistics department.
In fact it's people like you are the reason why on my Design exam I got a question like:
"Why an chain drive only have odd number of teeth?"
A poorly worded question isn't worth answering in any exam whether it is a Mathematics exam or not.

Also, I'm not in Victoria.
/care

HSC
Then don't go to UNSW.

In fact it's people like you are the reason why on my Design exam I got a question like:
"Why an chain drive only have odd number of teeth?"
A poorly worded question isn't worth answering in any exam whether it is a Mathematics exam or not.

Also, I'm not in Victoria.
/care
Yes, UNSW must have a fabulous teaching staff...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)