[TENNIS] The 2014 Australian Open Thread (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: [TENNIS] The Official 2014 Australian Open Thread

they could still jerk off to sharapova

Marc26

HSC

Guys, he could've still played, been beaten badly and given the crowd some value for their tickets. I mean, for christ sake, the first set went 6-4!
He was pushing Nadal out of his comfort zone and winning some good strategic points. Ohhh but no... instead he retired.
Now before people say he was injured, please note that there are players such as Federer who have played over 1000 matches and have NEVER retired.
Doesn't that say something?

(NB I am only using Fed as an example and yes I don't like Tomic's poor attitude)

Marc26

HSC

aussie tennis is so disappointing...
tomic, krygios, kokkinakis. surely one will make top 10 in the future
My pick

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

Tomic is a poo

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Hopefully NK and the kokk can revive Australian tennis - they seem to have a strong work ethic and good attitude which will serve them well... However both seem susceptible to injuries

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
why does Australia still have a grandslam. Australian tennis is nonexistent on the world stage.

Marc26

HSC

why does Australia still have a grandslam. Australian tennis is nonexistent on the world stage.
Because we had some of the greatest players of all time.

You could say the same thing for America or England. Why do they have grandslams? They don't have really have top players (exlcuding Murray) atm.
BUT they had great players in the past.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

ebden.... SMH

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Guys, he could've still played, been beaten badly and given the crowd some value for their tickets. I mean, for christ sake, the first set went 6-4!
He was pushing Nadal out of his comfort zone and winning some good strategic points. Ohhh but no... instead he retired.
Now before people say he was injured, please note that there are players such as Federer who have played over 1000 matches and have NEVER retired.
Doesn't that say something?

(NB I am only using Fed as an example and yes I don't like Tomic's poor attitude)
It would be stupid and short-sighted to continue playing and make the injury worse thereby making it harder to recover from for later tournaments or rounds. Also, when was the last time Federer was actually injured? Plenty of top players have retired (even in finals) during matches due to injury.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

It would be stupid and short-sighted to continue playing and make the injury worse thereby making it harder to recover from for later tournaments or rounds. Also, when was the last time Federer was actually injured? Plenty of top players have retired (even in finals) during matches due to injury.
He was injured for awhile in 2013 (back injury) but never made it public --> caused some poor tournament results (he didn't retire from matches though).

In 2012 Wimbledon, he had some back problems in the early rounds and ended up winning the whole thing in the end :haha:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
So tomic forfeited because he was afraid of an injury.....

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I guess you could say that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
It was a legitimate adductor tear though which will sideline him for few weeks. Playing on in the conditions given (heat, Nadal being a superb defender) may have worsened the tear to the point of being sidelined for several months. It was pretty evident when he hit awkward backhands. This is a classic "the boy who cried wolf" moment coupled with the fact that the match was very much anticipated and the high cost of RLA night session tickets which results in such scrutiny.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

He already had an injury and made the decision as a preventative measure to stop it getting worse, which is a reasonable and rational decision.

This is nothing new. Plenty of top players have done this before. It's just that Tomic happens to be criticised so much for his off court antics that people will jump at any opportunity to criticise him further.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
He already had an injury and made the decision as a preventative measure to stop it getting worse, which is a reasonable and rational decision.

This is nothing new. Plenty of top players have done this before. It's just that Tomic happens to be criticised so much for his off court antics that people will jump at any opportunity to criticise him further.
True, true. He did get a bit too egotistical and up-himself, lol

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

Wtf Ebden.......... Though Popsicle couldn't stop smiling and that was pretty cool :'-)

Marc26

HSC

Please, he was moving fine and actually keeping up with Nadal. The last time Federer was injured was in 2013 with a back injury. When do you recall a top player retiring in a final? I'm interested to know.

Last edited:

Marc26

HSC

Also if Tomic had won the first set, what are the chances he would have kept playing?

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Also if Tomic had won the first set, what are the chances he would have kept playing?
With the injury? Tomic wouldve deteriorated as the match went on with subtle awkward movements becoming more evident for Nadal to exploit ie backhand. Tomic said so himself that he had to strike the ball as hard as he could to compensate for anything the strain he felt held back. This was the right decision imo as disapponting and anticlimactic as it was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)