tempest + alice in wonderland (1 Viewer)

saram

HSC
heya! so i gotta write a speech on imaginative journey using the tempest as our focus text. i decided to also use the book alice in wonderland but am unsure how to start my speech.
i have the following techniques for alice in wonderland:
metaphors:
food
red
language: innocent, childlike
caricature: cartoon faces, colourful costuming, adds to the illogical sense of the characters
tone: tone changes as she matures
music, song, and rhyme: sets atmosphere
symbols:
physical change
forbidden garden

plus i have also found a variety of connections between the texts so any suggestions on how to start my speech would be very much appreciated
thanks!!!
saram

fulfil139

HSC
how areu going to relate Alice in wonderland to the tempest? any pointers? and what related texts are u going to use?
i'm only up to act 1 in the tempest so i don't really think i can help u :worried:

saram

HSC
hey yep im going to link the two, ive found overlapping techniques such as the theme of magic, social heirachy, good vs evil. plus both protagonists are transported into imaginative worlds where they are required to grow adapt and learn from the situations. both texts make statements about society.
i havent thought of any other texts yet so any ideas would be helpful

If you (or anyone) have any suggestions however small for an introduction it would be greatly appreciated
thanks

zil

HSC
N/A
i am doing the tempest and alice in wonderland. my teacher encouraged me to do the text from the stimullis booklet "the town where time stands still" as my thesis.
it has worked well for me. thats my two cents. goodluck!
does anyone know a website where i can view past speeches on imaginative journey?mine is due tomoro! so it would be apprieciated heaps!

HSC
im doing the tempest and alice in wonderland for my speech as well.

i start my introduction explaining imagative journeys. and explained that both of these texts have similar themes etc. hope that helps a little bit.

also i was wondering how social hierarchy applies to alice in wonderland?
im having trouble linking the two as it is end of term, not a time to be doing and english speech.

xxx

mitchellcaines

HSC
ROFL. HI KARINA.

i figured it was you cos i only know one person who loves zac attard (that wasnt being mean)

im doing alice in wonderland and the tempest too.

can you give me some techniques or help me out with it. obviously i wouldnt know much about it.

ive got a few techniques on tempest, but not alice in wonderland

HSC
lol. CHOW!!
heya.
i read your speech/essay and i like it

it would be nice if people helped us.

PEOPLE HELP!!!
any pointers on relating alice and the tempest would be helpful

xxx

saram

HSC
hey im not actually using that as a link any more but this is what i was going to use hope it helps

Carroll portrays seemingly powerful characters such as the King and Queen of Hearts as shallow, idiotic, and farcical, while characters such as Alice and the Cheshire-Cat are depicted as knowledgeable, witty characters who possess the real authority in Wonderland. Carroll, through exaggeration, displays the King and Queen of Hearts as somewhat of a parallel to the top of the hierarchy of authority in the real world. He looks at how these characters are presented to the reader as abusing power they don't really possess and in the end, Alice, with the help of the Cheshire Cat, develops as the true figure of authority in Wonderland. Symbolizes young children everywhere, showing them that they too can make a difference in the world.

emmmy

HSC
saram said:
hey im not actually using that as a link any more but this is what i was going to use hope it helps

Carroll portrays seemingly powerful characters such as the King and Queen of Hearts as shallow, idiotic, and farcical, while characters such as Alice and the Cheshire-Cat are depicted as knowledgeable, witty characters who possess the real authority in Wonderland. Carroll, through exaggeration, displays the King and Queen of Hearts as somewhat of a parallel to the top of the hierarchy of authority in the real world. He looks at how these characters are presented to the reader as abusing power they don't really possess and in the end, Alice, with the help of the Cheshire Cat, develops as the true figure of authority in Wonderland. Symbolizes young children everywhere, showing them that they too can make a difference in the world.
thats soo good :)

Engel

HSC
Alice in wonderland seems perfect for this!! I'm doing a gothic appropriation of Alice for my Ext.II major as well :) I just suck at writing speeches, can anybody give me any pointers? Also saram, i'm borrowing parts of your introduction, it rocks^.^ Has anyone got any other additional texts that work well with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Tempest? I'm thinking of using 'The Conqueror Worm' by Edgar Allan Poe.

Will-San

HSC
Im thinking of using Robert Jordans 'the eye of the world' withboth Alice and the tempest, using the thesis of the imaginative journey acting as a right of passage to maturity and new perspectives. Quite fun actually, seeing as i love both books =)
btw Saram, ure intro rocks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)