telling the truth material (1 Viewer)

edd91

HSC
Hi,
Does our self selected material have to be related to sylvia and ted? Our teacher said so but I dont think so

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Two, methinks. But you should probably have three just in case.

edd91

HSC
Loz#1 said:
Two, methinks. But you should probably have three just in case.
thanks
could you answer one more
when a hsc question says 'refer to your set text', is it one poem or what?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
The set text? The set text is what you've been studying in class, not your own material.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The set text, if you studied at set of poems, is the entire set of poems as a body of work, not just one poem. That's what I was told anyway.

edd91

HSC
right, so if it asks you to ur set text (as per past HSC), you have to mention all the poems??

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yah, so then you're learning the six (six?) poems? I think in the HSC they only ask you to make reference to at least three or four.

texta

Your set text is Ted Hughes' The Birthday Letters. You have to know all of the poems just in case they specify one in the question, but they will usually only ask for at least 2 poems. For this topic, you need to choose at least 2 related texts which have something to do with Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plaths relationship - maybe one of Plaths poems, a Dido Merwin article, the movie 'Sylvia' etc. But make sure you understand the concept of the 'truth' and work out a thesis before you go out choosing your related texts.
Hope that helps

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah what texta said. they will usually just tell you to do 2 / 3 / 4 / a couple / a few / poemS but they can ask specific ones (look at past papers to see what they have done). so it's best to know some in detail and know the others basically so you're not stuffed if they ask for them. or even better know all in detail.

malkin86

HSC
Hey I do Birthday Letters too..

Do you think they're psycho?

malkin86

HSC
Take your pick Loz - the poems, Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, the Board of Studies.. :)

The poems are technically very brilliant, I just can't stand the subject matter as I see it (his version of their marriage problems). It's just TMI, as I see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)