tel me if its good (sample AOS essay) (1 Viewer)

scruffy012

HSC
hello peoples, can you's all do me a favour, this is a copy of my area of study essay, can you please tell me it's faults because it's pracitically to late for help from the teachers, it is virus checked, and spychecked, so nothin sinister.

thanks for your help

scruffy

Last edited:

eth

HSC
[size=+1]General comments[/size]
Commas, fullstops and other punctuation go inside brackets, as shown in some of the specifics comments below
Names of films, poems, plays, books, etc need to be underlined when written, some types need to be underlined and others italics when typed
In quotes from poems, divide the lines using a slash "/" - see stanza 3
Never say a text forces the responder. Other alternatives offered below, invites is a good one
Keep an eye on the tense you use (past/present/future) - see notes for para 7

Original
Edited (Changes in Red

Para 1:
through the real, surreal
through the real and surreal

Discussions of Coleridge; Text 6 from the stimulus booklet, “Journeys over land and sea”; Salvador Dali’s painting, “Premonition of Civil War” and “A Beautiful Mind” directed by Ron Howard
Discussions of the poems of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Text 6 from the stimulus booklet;Journeys over Land and Sea,” Salvador Dali’s painting; “Premonition of Civil War,” and “A Beautiful Mind” directed by Ron Howard

Para 2:

“star charts, bestiaries and herbals”, express the idea
“star charts, bestiaries and herbals, the composer expresses the idea

and reflect that the unknown
and reflects that the unknown

the unknown was merely the explorers imagination with the challenge of learning new things is endless.
This does not make sense

Para 3:
imagination as a reason for exploration
imagination as a means of|method of|path to exploration

to force the reader to empathise with him
to cause|encourage|allow|help|assist|invite the reader to empathise with him

“well, they are gone, and here I must remain, this lime-tree bower my prison!”
Well, they are gone, and here I must remain, / this lime-tree bower my prison!”

especially seen in “Kubla Khan”, in which Coleridge’s “pleasure-dome” is split into two hemispheres, where above ground was Coleridge's image of perfection, “…there were gardens, bright with sinuous rills.”

This beauty is cleverly contrasted with the lower hemisphere being, “…a savage place...by woman, wailing for her demon lover!” In these examples, his vision of Romantic perfection is contrasted by Romantic desolation and corruption, it is where these hemispheres are split by a barrier, “Alph, the sacred river” resembling the current mentality of man, having a choice between perfection and corruption.

I don't agree, but that's not really a problem

Para 5:
“Premonition of Civil War”, it sensationalises what a nation
“Premonition of Civil War,which sensationalises what a nation

sensationalisation forces the viewer, on imagining what Dali is trying to express, the idea of how a nation can pull itself apart, without knowing the consequences
sensationalisation causes|encourages|allows|helps|assists|invites the viewer to imagine what Dali is trying to express, the idea of how a nation can pull itself apart without knowing the consequences

Para 6:
discovering reality from illusion
distinguishing between reality and illusion

of who is his wife
of which is his wife

dramatically shown with Parcher
dramatically shown when Parcher

Para 7:
where John and 'Parcher' escaping the Russians
where John and ‘Parcher’ escape the Russians

Conclusion:
reasons behind a persons journey
reasons behind a person's journey

The conclusion needs a lot of work, and it's pretty short - try for at least 3 pages - but written does take more space than typed. Also, you don't need to say which texts go with which part of the conclusion - you are putting them all together.

Try this for the conclusion

Throughout the course of all journeys, one comes to learn what separates good from evil, reality from illusion. The real reasons for a person's journey may not be clear to begin, or even be what that person believes they are, but reveal themselves over time, as one gains experience and knowledge. Journeys allow for the use and expansion of the mind, so that one's imagination does not "contract itself too much, and wholly sink into trifles," because a journey never ends, it simply leads into the next one.

eth

HSC
Me too... good luck, and just remember - the easier it is to read, the more likely the marker will gie you the most marks they can get away with. The underlining text names is [size=+1]very[/size] important, for some reason only an English teacher would inderstand... after all, who can expect regular people to understand the mad ravings of people who read trash like Wuthering Heights for enjoyment... I love to read, but the only good aspect of Wuthering Heights has to do with the fact that paper is flammable. ;)

scruffy012

HSC
eth said:
Me too... good luck, and just remember - the easier it is to read, the more likely the marker will gie you the most marks they can get away with. The underlining text names is [size=+1]very[/size] important, for some reason only an English teacher would inderstand... after all, who can expect regular people to understand the mad ravings of people who read trash like Wuthering Heights for enjoyment... I love to read, but the only good aspect of Wuthering Heights has to do with the fact that paper is flammable. ;)

so yay.......... i found someone who hate wuthering heights too........ instant rep point...... i have to agree it is a waste of space but at least we can read a small bit and read critical readings for/against the novel...

hehe

scruffy

eth

HSC
I'd think it would be harder to find someone who did like it than someone who didn't - teachers and their pets not included, of course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)