Teen arrested for blasphemous T-shirt (1 Viewer)

HalcyonSky

HSC
A GOLD Coast teenager who wore a T-shirt by English extreme metal band Cradle of Filth that reads 'Jesus is a c**t' has been charged with offensive behaviour.

Above the offensive slogan a nun is depicted masturbating.
A 16-year-old was arrested on Monday for wearing the shirt and was charged with offensive behaviour under the Summary Offences Act 2005 for public nuisance.

Senior Sergeant Arron Ottaway said the teen was walking along Hollywell Road, in Biggera Waters, when a officer saw him.

Police conducted inquiries at Australia Fair, where the teen said he bought the shirt, to find any shops selling it.

The Reverend Matt Hunt of the Helensvale Baptist Church said it was sad people spoke about the Lord in such a way.

"It's fairly common language these days to express sadness, anger or hurt," he said. "It's a degrading word to use and Jesus is anything but that. It's like calling white black."

Mr Hunt said using the Lord's name in vain was a serious sin.

"When someone comes to the point of saying Jesus is the devil or Jesus is 'expletive', the Bible does say be very careful because you're on thin ice."

Gold Coast lawyer Bill Potts said the arrest highlighted Australia's need for a Bill of Rights.

"One of the great problems with our country is that we talk about rights such as privacy and freedom of speech and the like but they are not enshrined or protected in any way as they are in America," he said.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23919553-2,00.html

bullshit. We should have a right to wear t-shirts reading jesus is a cunt and depicting nuns masturbating.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
the t shirt is funny but i have to say it is wrong. i think this does deserve arrest.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Don't think anyone deserves to be arrested for wearing a tshirt, no matter how offensive it is. He was a bit stupid if he didn't think someone would pull him up about it though, it's a pretty inflammatory statement for some people.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
If some EU group had a shirt saying "The Devil is a cunt" and wore it out, would they get arrested?

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
If only they interviewed someone called Mike Hunt instead of Matt Hunt :eek:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nobody has a right to not be offended.

jellybelly08

HSC
So i shouldn't wear my "Allah is a cunt" t-shirt to Auburn this arvo?

Pace_T

HSC
he shouldnt be charged. the fear of having his kidneys tenderised by people off the street shouldve been enough. the kid is an idiot.

WannaBang?

HSC
jellybelly08 said:
So i shouldn't wear my "Allah is a cunt" t-shirt to Auburn this arvo?
I'd advise against it. Where did you buy a shirt like that? I'll have the entire shop blown to smithereens.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's not as if the kid designed the shirt himself. He simply bought some standard cradle of filth merchandise. I'm not saying I agree with the slogan, but to be charged is just ridiculous. If they really cared about it they'd stop the band from releasing the shirt. And then there would be all these complaints about freedom of speech. It's just stupid.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
It's dumb because rafy is right, you do not have the right to live your life without being offended. If you take offence at what someone says or does then that's your problem and it's up to you to either prove the person wrong or shut your face and get over it.

boris

Banned
HSC
yeh tbh if he had a t-shirt with a pic of mohummad, would he have been arrested?

he probably knew it was going to get him into trouble, and probably wore it especially for that reason, but srsly..

stfu PC police

Nat3skiz

HSC
lol they interviewed a reverend.
No his opinion wouldn't be biased at all. Not in the slightest.

HSC
yeah that band has some funny shirts. I saw another one down town a few months ago that said "your mother should have swallowed".

the problem is that it is difficult to determine any appropriate punishment because the law is not clear as to what is allowed and what isn't in public. If there was a clear rule/law that stated the words cunt or fuck etc must not be said/shown/implied/etc then it would be fair to arrest the kid. As of know it isn't fair at all.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
If they're going to arrest people for that then they should impound any car with that stupid Jesus Fish badge stuck on it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Man I thought we lived in Australia, not Jesusland.
Second.

Maybe just socially shun the kid lots instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)