Technologies in learning Mathematics for University students (1 Viewer)

Natasha123

HSC
Hello,
I like to ask this question to all university students because I am curious

How do you think the "INTERNET" is used to support the teaching and learning of mathematics. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the use of this technology and what advice for teachers can you give when using this technology ?

Thank you for your input.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
what is this "internet"?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
i use wxmaxima a lot (think maple) when im too lazy to differentiate long functions and solve for zero

i also use th net for reference and clarification for theories and axioms or whatever

i use graphmatica to check out how certain functions look

the use of technology is great for maths, comp sci and maths go hand in hand.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
The access grid rooms they're installing everywhere are ... amazing.

Check out http://www.ice-em.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=1

It's essentially a room you sit in, and anyone else logged in via a similar room on their campus is basically in there with you. There are cameras, microphones and projection screens throughout the room.

Whoever is giving the lecture is looking at the people in their room and the people in the other rooms via the projection screen behind those students. Likewise, the students are looking forward and seeing either the lecturer in front of them, or the lecturer on the screen at the front of the room.

Even the whiteboards are linked, so when someone writes something on a whiteboard in one room, it pops up in all the other rooms. This is also handy because you can literally save the lecture notes as they're written :)

It's actually a bit hard to describe everything in one go, but, it blew me away, so if you get the chance, check it out.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
are you doing honours next year darkliight? I wanted to, but now i think i am just going to take the 'easy' way out and just work.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Well I went to the honours lunch thing, and what they showed us was interesting. I walked away thinking it would be a year well spent, so I think I'll be there.

As far as I know Jim is organising it, and he had some info he handed out to us on the day (list of courses (not incl the grid ones), scholarship info, etc), so if you're keen he will probably be the best person to chat to. And with your marks, as if honours won't be 'easy' either ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)