Teaching Latin (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
I'll take your advice flyin' and start a new thread.

(serious and relevant answers only)!

My mum wants me to teach my bro some latin, as he's starting latin this year. I can't remember how i learnt in yr 7, so can anyone tell me how i should approach it?

like teach him salve and myths and stuff? maybe grammar and caecilius est in horto?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Go with Caecilius, but first ask him what he would like to get out of Latin. That way you have an idea of what he's looking for, and you can aim your stuff at him in a way that would keep him interested.

On a side note, where's this NS Latin Crew thread I heard about?

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
I think I have a Caecilius book somewhere. I can still remember the stories of grumio and melissa haha.

he goes to grammar, and apparently what they learn in yr 7 is a lot harder than what i learnt. we did some caecilius and other stuff like classroom things. apparently cos i did extension, that makes me fit to teach him. :p

the NS latin crew thread is called "latin forum ppl". i started it, and that's where the spam goes from now on.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Caecilius rocks. He almost made me want to do Latin in year 8.

So yeah, teach him some fun stuff. Usefull stuff he can use to pick up chicks...I mean impress people.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry New Member, it's sort of an in joke.

I'm the forum Monk, so for me to suggest "picking up chicks" is in itself amusing.

That said, I hear some girls like their guys to have intelligence. Latin = intelligence. :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I personally suggest that you grab whatever textbook you got in Year 7, or a copy if you can get your hands on one, and start where you started. And of course, myths are great; and they'll teach him something even if it's just don't be flyin' too close to the sun.

Someone should someday teach me how to pick up chicks with Latin... especially when I soon find out they actually did Latin for the HSC. :p

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
pick up chics with latin?... its easy...

salve amica...
sextus penus erectus

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I should really direct people to the other thread in the forum entitled 'The Remedy'... Do read, it's for you're own good. :p

/ 5 600 isn't so bad. :D

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
you hypocrite flyin'!

anyway, thanks for the tips, though i won't be teaching him how to pick up girls.

kentwell

Custom User Text
HSC
N/A
Caecilius blows... go with Quintus (Oxford Latin)

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
How so?

Originally posted by flyin'
I should really direct people to the other thread in the forum entitled 'The Remedy'... Do read, it's for you're own good. :p

/ 5 600 isn't so bad. :D
(Re: 5600! how did you get to that)

and no, he's not interested in girls atm

kentwell, what's quintus?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mic
kentwell, what's quintus?
I'm not kentwall. Anyway, Quintus was the son of a farmer who lived far away from the city. He's the main character whose story you would have followed had you studied the Oxford series. He has a father, a mother and a sister. And a drunken friend, Marcus. And a dog.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
No. I think Quintus's father's name was Flaccus. But I have an odd feeling that was the name of the dog... It's been many year... :p

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
yes, quintus is caecilius' son in cambridge.
in oxford, quintus is quintus horatius (horace).
the stories in cambridge are better, mic! why would you teach your brother myths when cambridge offers poison, bribery, volcanoes and the slaves getting it on??
...but somehow I think you learn more from oxford. ;)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i don't have oxford.

but greensanity, you're right. cambridge has all that action, but i think he'll need to know some myths. like aeneas in short detail

kentwell

Custom User Text
HSC
N/A
Oxford has weird funny pictures and is in colour

Also, Oxford "teaches" latin unlike Cambridge... teach Oxford and you will never look back...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)