Teachers. (1 Viewer)

mark H

HSC
The only reason that English is compulsory is to have a common subject as a benchmark for scaling everyone.

musing

HSC
Well, it's weird how when I changed from an under-average school (probably rank 500) to a good school (rank 30), my marks went up. In the crap school, I got things like 12/20 then at my new school I get two 13/20, one 18/20 and a 15/20. I'm happy.
Same. I went from a shit school to a top 40 school and my marks improved significantly - probably due to the quality of teachers we have here.

Anyways, I received full marks in an essay in the English trials from a marker but I got only 14/20 from another marker. I ended up with the average of both marks. However, I'm guessing one marked too easily and other marked too harshly.

HSC
Uni Grad
I had an English teacher for two years (years 9 & 10) and she was so horrible. She gave us 5 minutes to do like an essay. This guy who was in my class, he is an idiot but majority of the time if he didnt do anything idiotic and just sat there doing his work he got sent out for nothing. When he asked an intelligent question he got sent out for "disrupting the class". It was insane, and she is head of English! In her class, you literally do one comprehension question and do nothing for the remaining 50 minutes (we have a 60 minute class each period) and she would not even care. My marks were shit for essays and all the components of the exam because she didn't teach exactly HOW to do it and tips.

But thankfully I have a good teacher for Standard and I actually learned more things that I did in two years of having that teacher that I mentioned above. I learned how to construct a proper English essay and not a crappy one. So my marks are getting back up.

Discus_Man

HSC
I'm doing SACE, ATAR for English Teacher in SA is 70.2 (ridiculous) and for Science teacher is a measly 71.8... So since we can have people becoming teachers with rather abysmal marks, OUR education thus suffers as worse teachers enter, more students become de-motivated from the bad teaching and thus less people wish to succeed in life. Coming from me, where I go to a terrible public school, we'll be lucky to get 3 people above 95 ATAR in a year and focus on trade courses.

I'm going to become and english teacher (Unless I can't get 70.2 :p) and after seeing the countless terrible english teachers at my school, who either don't listen to students, mark based entirely on prejudice, incorrectly punish kids based on their false judgements or otherwise just don't attempt to help people is what made me motivated to get into the education system, and help out everyone. I'm on 98% for English Studies (Highest level english for SA), and should end up with 20/20 end of year. My english teacher's been great and compared to earlier years hasn't been biased and actually helps out.

Being a good teacher, trying to motivate kids (especially those from low-socio economic backgrounds like me) is what I want to do. But the education system is full of so many bad teachers that I'm wondering whether I could make a difference... Great teachers can inspire children to do well, but bad teachers can demoralise people (one of my mates was unfairly subjected by a bad teacher to many troubles, and has left school because of the shit he was given).

Screw bad teachers. BRING ON THE SUMMER HOLS!!! WOOOOOOO

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing SACE, ATAR for English Teacher in SA is 70.2 (ridiculous) and for Science teacher is a measly 71.8... So since we can have people becoming teachers with rather abysmal marks, OUR education thus suffers as worse teachers enter, more students become de-motivated from the bad teaching and thus less people wish to succeed in life. Coming from me, where I go to a terrible public school, we'll be lucky to get 3 people above 95 ATAR in a year and focus on trade courses.

I'm going to become and english teacher (Unless I can't get 70.2 :p) and after seeing the countless terrible english teachers at my school, who either don't listen to students, mark based entirely on prejudice, incorrectly punish kids based on their false judgements or otherwise just don't attempt to help people is what made me motivated to get into the education system, and help out everyone. I'm on 98% for English Studies (Highest level english for SA), and should end up with 20/20 end of year. My english teacher's been great and compared to earlier years hasn't been biased and actually helps out.

Being a good teacher, trying to motivate kids (especially those from low-socio economic backgrounds like me) is what I want to do. But the education system is full of so many bad teachers that I'm wondering whether I could make a difference... Great teachers can inspire children to do well, but bad teachers can demoralise people (one of my mates was unfairly subjected by a bad teacher to many troubles, and has left school because of the shit he was given).

Screw bad teachers. BRING ON THE SUMMER HOLS!!! WOOOOOOO
A shitty ATAR doesn't reflect how intelligent you are or how good of a teacher you are going to be. It only reflects how much effort you put in to school, but regardless people can change a lot during uni from what they were like in school anyway.
Some people might do rather average in uni even, but then become really good teachers once they start doing the more practical stuff.

You're judging someone on a number, which is fucking insane.

Discus_Man

HSC
I ain't judging teachers or teaching ability based off a number, and if that's what came across in my post then I do apologise. I don't like prejudice or stigma based off ATAR's after all the flak I get from my cousins and uncles in law... :mad3:.

The 'terrible teachers' part I was referring to are the judgemental ones who judge kids based off appearance, background or off one lesson's behaviour. Those are the ones that just aggravate me. One teacher in particular, who for example told off two ethiopian transfers for looking up football scores in IT (when it was part of their project), and blindly ignored everyone else when they were playing. games. in. front. of. teachers. eyes. This was not an individual incident though. She then proceeded to send out a brazilian for "not discussing the topic" when he was copying notes down off the board...

This sort of prejudice is what I was trying to get across in my last post, sorry for how it was structured, can see why you came to your conclusion but I do not judge based off ATAR, I hate that type of prejudice and above example is more what I was trying to demonstrate.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Our English, Maths and HSIE departments are awesome. Our science department on the other hand..lmao.

so glad I don't do any sciences!

HSC
Uni Grad
I ain't judging teachers or teaching ability based off a number, and if that's what came across in my post then I do apologise. I don't like prejudice or stigma based off ATAR's after all the flak I get from my cousins and uncles in law... :mad3:.

The 'terrible teachers' part I was referring to are the judgemental ones who judge kids based off appearance, background or off one lesson's behaviour. Those are the ones that just aggravate me. One teacher in particular, who for example told off two ethiopian transfers for looking up football scores in IT (when it was part of their project), and blindly ignored everyone else when they were playing. games. in. front. of. teachers. eyes. This was not an individual incident though. She then proceeded to send out a brazilian for "not discussing the topic" when he was copying notes down off the board...

This sort of prejudice is what I was trying to get across in my last post, sorry for how it was structured, can see why you came to your conclusion but I do not judge based off ATAR, I hate that type of prejudice and above example is more what I was trying to demonstrate.
Oh okay soz for misunderstanding. I wasn't even aware that teachers were this terrible anywhere in Australia, like maybe the odd rarity but I don't understand how they would not get told to stop being shit or get fired by principal, it's not like they cant be easily replaced.

But that's fairly stupid, I don't get why arseholes become teachers and do a poor job of it, I couldn't live with myself if I treated people like shit and as a result they failed at life and had negative views towards education for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

xeniapotter

HSC
I like teachers, I think they do a fantastic job. However, some teachers shouldn't even be allowed to teach. A lot of them are incredibly slack with how they approch tasks.

HSC
Uni Grad
Some teachers, I question, how they got the mark to BE a teacher.
I remember a teacher who failed her HSC (I think it's a rumor but still) and she had my class last year, and when two smart students told her a meaning of a word, she looked it up on Google to see if they are correct because she didn't know the meaning of it, after being told several times the correct meaning. T.T"

funnytomato

HSC
some teachers, i question, how they got the mark to be a teacher.
I remember a teacher who failed her hsc (i think it's a rumor but still) and she had my class last year, and when two smart students told her a meaning of a word, she looked it up on google to see if they are correct because she didn't know the meaning of it, after being told several times the correct meaning. T.t"
wat mark?

HSC
Uni Grad
The mark - ATAR mark to be a teacher. It's like 70-80 ATAR (depending on the university) to get into B Arts/Secondary Teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)