Teacher's opinions? (1 Viewer)

ashimation

HSC
I'm just curious as my teacher said my piece was strong etc etc, and I told her that was a relief (as I cannot read my story and put it in a 'band' or evaluate it..) and she made something which alluded to the board of studies/marker could think differently.

Now I know they have to mark objectively etc, and in theory a piece with merits should get whatever it deserves, but do you think teachers (even past/present markers like mine) can 'predict' or give indication? I'm not looking for reassurance, I'm just struggling not being able to decide whether to leave it (I'm happy with it) or try and fiddle with it even more so and potentially stuff what I think is pretty good.

So what I'm really asking is
What have your teachers said so far about your major works? And do you agree? (I mean in terms of its good,/its crap/ its ok/it's going to get into showcase/fail

For any past students out there, have these opinions 'rung true'?

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
It seems that unless a teacher calls it brilliant, there's always work that needs doing. Ask specific questions, force a conclusion out of them.

Example:

"Do the characters feel real for you?"
"Is the plot interesting?"
"What sections of the story would you change?"
"Did you get my intertextual referencing?"
"Did you get the point I was trying to make?"

Once you've probed enough, you'll get a true idea of what your teacher thinks. It took me a while, but once you get some honest feedback, it hones your time into those elements.

HSC
N/A
Marking is subjective. Unless you have massive "structural" errors in your major work (such as overuse of particular techniques, bad puctuation/grammar/format etc ) then the personal opinion of style/theme is really subjective. I know many students whose works were considered band 4 by reputable EE2 teachers (including HSC EE2 markers) but still got a low external mark because the external markers didn't agree.

Teacher's opinions can also be subjective also - whilst they can certainly be valuable remember they are really only one person, and thus can really only give one opinion. My best advice is to have your work critiqued by as many people as possible - preferably professional writers, experienced/REPUTABLE EE2 tutors/teachers and the like. :)

J

jhakka

What your teacher says is irrelevant at the end of the day. You could just end up with a marker who didn't like it, or didn't think you fit the criteria.

However, it is important to remember that your teacher is the best person pre-marking to give you an opinion on the strength of your work. They will not be able to predict your mark.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Well I know I had alot of flaws in mine because I lacked enough coherent direction. So now i'm rewriting/editing.
I don't think i'll get the top band because I really should have done it differently... but you know, I hope I get 40+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)