Teachers? Do they really affect your results? (1 Viewer)

Hello peoplez.. :)
Ive been thinking over the past few weeks on an interesting topic brought up at my table... Do teachers affect your marks through the way they react with students?

One instance was that if you had a love for the topic/course that you were in (in my instance Chemistry/Physics), but a teacher BoReD! the shit out of the students, will the students ideas and marks be affected trial and hsc time?

Two examples i have are both my Chemistry and Physics classes, where teachers had changed after the yr11 finals, and my perspective (english students :D ) changed to the course after they had left and new teachers came in...

Prelim Physics was shit as! i have to say, because of a teacher that couldn't communicate with students (he left and went to another school hehehe - poor kids), but yr12 comes and a new teacher joins, who enjoys talking and having fun in the course, giving us a fun time in physics (now we are killing the class)...

Chemistry on the other hand was vice versa... where yr 11 had a great teacher (fun and experimental - BANG!), yr 12 comes, and we now have a boring bastard who cares for us but is just a silent and boring teacher... So, do the teachers affect your perspective on courses during HSC, thus affecting marks? give me your opinions...

Cyaz

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i've been thinking about this as well. i think in a certain way they would. if u have an interesting teacher that gets into the subject, ur gonna have a love of the subject and therefore wanna do more work, study, and wanna do better overall

also, i think that obviously the way teachers react with single studnets changes their perspective on the course. e.g. if a teacher is an absolute bastard to you, you'll hate the course, think you're crap at it, and not wanna work.

edit: i have the coolest status!! haha magniloquent member!!

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hmm...i think they can affect students. If a teacher has a bad attitude towards teaching the subject, the marks of the class will reflect that.
I guess its up to the students to study by themselves and depends less on the teacher to improve.

Kn1ght_M4r3

i tihnk they do.
But i also think for a class to get great marks you would have to have both enthusiastic teachers as well as students who are keen to learn. IF u have students who are all keen to learn u will have competition thus u want to beat the guy/gurl next to u or something and you have the teacher to provide you with the information.

so id say they do affect results but to get best results u urself gotta be interested in the sub. =0)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'd certainly agree with you, Styled n Slick - I'd also say they affect your marks on a much more direct level.

There are very few teachers who don't express at least some bias in favour of certain students (whether it's intentional or not).

Soul

New Title...
I agree

I agree, let's get real here, teachers are human. Teachers only want to do their job well and not get crap from students who don't care or think they know better, or regard them as furniture.

All teaching involves a certain amount of discretion on the part of the teacher, conscious and unconscious. And I can assure you that if you or I were a teacher wouldn't we rather give extra marks to kids who make my job more: fulfilling/easier/enjoyable.

Trust me, I'm sure Laz knows what he's talking about.

And I definitely know what I'm talking about.

Be nice to your teachers

(and pretend to be to the ones that are bastards)

Last edited:

lifes_a_slut

i definately think the teacher is influential in our academic performance...
my physics teacher is this dumb ass old woman who cant teach for sh!t and i mean she was pathetic.. wheneva i wanted to distract the class i could.. she didnt know what she was going on about.. for our half yearlie in yr 11 when i had to teach myself i got 33/100 and that was 3rd in the class! it was soo horrible the whole year was pathetic.. i though well maybe ill get a tutor and just sleep in class.. $50 an hour for this tutor and she was even worse trying to teach me about yr 7 resistance.. and she didnt know what she was going on about either.. just reang from the book.. arrrgghh
and my maths teacher now.. favours the people coming top 5, treats them like queens and people that are having difficulty, she treats them like shit.. like i do 3 unit and the way she talks about the 2 unit class is horrible.. makes fun of them and everything.. and she always mocks me in class.. i wana just slap her out, kust once! she is horrible!!!!!!!! makes me hate maths

so i dropped physics and it was the best thing i ever did :) :) :) :)

i definately think teachers favour students with their marking.. its pathetic..

i got accused of plagiarism.. which they in turn accused me off helping a student gain unfair advantage.. WHICH I DID NOT.. and i proved i didnt plagorise and i proved i didnt do anything worng.. but my teacher was also the vice principal and although i fough it for 3 months there was no hope.. he does not like me at all..

and so after that i began to dob in everyone who does cheat
like theres this girl who takes off days before assignemnets are due and exams.. and we all know shes not sick but cos she has a dr cert she gets away wif it.. we've all faked sickness atleast once so we know how easy it is to get a cert. anyways alot of people began to make complaints against this person.. even her good friends (including me) this girl is SRC and every teacher loves her and thinks shes a saint and they didnt do anything about it. ME.. bcos im honest and direct with my teachers and i wouldve come first overall in SORII and beat this girl that the teacher loves (diff to the other chick) my teacher accused me off fuc'kn cheating.. pathetic bastard!

Last edited:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Yes they do!!!!

I used to top maths from year 7-10 without the need to study coz my maths teacher was fantastic! then i got a shxt teacher in year 11 and I've fallen out of top 10. Even though i got swapped to the class of a better teacher, the effect that the previous teacher had on me is irreversible :(

oh, as for people who claim that teacher marks the paper according to the students. I haven't experienced anything like that. that's why we have our english assessments student number coded :)

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think if names are on the top of the sheets, teachers are influenced by the general academic ability of the person who wrote it.

for example, if a good student wrote, something that was a bit iffy, but was ok, the teacher would subconsciously think that it must be ok, because that student wrote it. on the other hand, if i a bad student wrote it, it would get a lower mark. it's been admitted to. and i can understand why - it's not that they favour the student (or in some cases maybe they do), it's just that the student always goes well, is expected to, and in the teachers subconscious mind the student will go well in that particular assessment as well.

Leanne

HSC
yeah, my friend told me at her school on every exam paper they wrote their student number to avoid bias....i think we soo should have done that!!!

some ppl always seem to do well....and they seem to be the ones the teacher loves..........how ironic

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well yeah thats true leanne.. but generally teachers will always love the ones who do well anyway... right? :)

i would say a definite YES, teachers of course affect your results... ancient history is my shittest subject and i know it's got a lot to do with the way that it's being taught. i mean i don't dislike my teacher (well okay, i do a BIT) but her style of teaching really puts me off the subject.. as a result i avoid it, miss a lot of classes, and am rarely motivated to even try for it... and get marks that are shitty, when i know i could be capable of getting 80+

conversely, my modern history teacher is BRILLIANT and really inspires me to work a lot- both in class and out. my attendance for modern is really good and so are my marks! i dont know, i really do think that teachers affect you in MANY ways.. :(

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
sugaryblue said:
Yes they do!!!!

I used to top maths from year 7-10 without the need to study coz my maths teacher was fantastic! then i got a shxt teacher in year 11 and I've fallen out of top 10. Even though i got swapped to the class of a better teacher, the effect that the previous teacher had on me is irreversible :(

oh, as for people who claim that teacher marks the paper according to the students. I haven't experienced anything like that. that's why we have our english assessments student number coded :)

teachers can still recognise the handwriting

gothinside

it does affect

especially in english...

all the guys in the debating team get heaps good marks...

usually they deserve them...

but there are some cases where it isnt worth full marks...

my friend for instance his ext 1 english assesment mark for school (this is prelim ie yr11) is 100% now his work is excellent, but, still there have been one or two of his assesments where he shouldnt have recieved 100%

also...

one student who an english teacher loves and alwys gives him amazing marks or comes and apologizes...

that same teacher hates me...and its reflected in the marks...

also...

i wish they did use numbers at our school as opposed to names...

and if they know and like the student and they have bad handwriting thye will put in more effort to read it!!!

and i have dropped extension maths becasue of the teacher...

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
It is true, because i experienced it :) (no im not a suckup ^_^)
i was just a nerd from year 7

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
-blueblue- said:
teachers can still recognise the handwriting
Not if it's a typed assignment.
Maybe they should encourage an increased use of computers for assignments (even thought they have already). In addition to student numbers, this would definitely decrease bias.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)