Teacher Cheating - Unwarranted Extra Marks Given to Student (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
I've had this experience before.

A teacher favouring another student because of their personal relationship. For me, it was not an adjustment of marks it was postponing of assessments or other tasks for little-to-no reason. She does just as many units as everyone else (11, we're between 10-13), so her workload is not more. She does, however, have an on-going relationship with the teacher.

And, there was nothing I could do about it. The times I whined to the senior coordinator were fruitless - he just told me that the reasons for her special treatment were valid. She managed to get out of an assessment because of a death in the family, without producing any certificate or official documentation. (I didn't argue this, but I wasn't happy).

It's not really the right thing to "leave it" because this is your HSC, and you are at a disadvantage now. Luckily i've always ranked above this person, so I haven't had it affect my marks directly. However, the trouble you get yourself into by investigating these things is simply not worth it. If you have a teacher that you're friends with, I'd mention it. But I would not go up to senior people in the school, especially because the guy you're talking about is highly regarded among staff.

Carnivour

HSC
Ha, its kinda funny reading all these comments, because I'm one of those people that gets marks that even I, honestly think, dont deserve.

For those people that are telling everyone to stop complaining about unfair treatment, you seem to neglect the fact that teachers are human and will have human shortcomings. They will and DO favour some students over others. Whats the name of the game? Manipulation. Welcome to the real world.

What can you do about it? TALK to the head of your department, TALK to the director of studies, DO something about it, DONT just BROOD and bitch about it. Chances are, nothing will get done about it, because most of the time the complaints are petty and insignificant, but hey, give yourself a pat on the back - at least you've tried! Maybe one time out of ten, the school will follow it up, if only out of fear of negative publicity.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
yeh in my chem test.. i got 55% and i never appealed for anymore marks.. and then we got the paper back and i got 56% and it was the teacher that spotted it.. so the moral of the story is that teachers try to maximise your marks and also study hard in chem if you dont wanna get marks like mine :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I discussed "why do i get such low marks, when my work is better' with a teacher once. They just lie to you. Last year for those poems, we had to reference the different readings of the poems by different people... some people hadn't done even 1 reading, i had 3 perfectly done, along with a short summary of each poem and quotes from the poems next to the readings/summary...

Teachers are bias.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
If it affects your overall rank, then you should ask your teacher about it.
The same thing happens at my school. If you're a good student, they more often than not start adjusting your marks to keep you in the top 3 or top 5. It's completely unfair, but the last time I said something about it, i noticed that the teacher's attitude toward me completely changed. So when it happened again, I just kept quiet. I would prefer not to get in their bad books. But if you are really upset about it, and it sounds like you are, just talk to them about it.

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
look my internal assesment for advanced is meant to be 94% but my teacher boosted evryones mark up by 1 so now im on 95%............................not much relevance just thought i'd show u wahat reall marks arre......................and by the way english is damn easy cause its been standardised..................so if u know ur stuff us hould be getting over 90% so ;P

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Kutar Maggi said:
look my internal assesment for advanced is meant to be 94% but my teacher boosted evryones mark up by 1 so now im on 95%............................not much relevance just thought i'd show u wahat reall marks arre......................and by the way english is damn easy cause its been standardised..................so if u know ur stuff us hould be getting over 90% so ;P
Yes, and you obviously have a very strong grasp of the english language.

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
*girl04* said:
You do realise that the girl that came 1st in the state in ancient history and economics a few years ago, got 64% ( or so) in her trials and her overall assesment was 70%
a girl topped economics, outrage!

nwatts

HSC
Kutar Maggi: You're talking shit. Shut up.

unfairtreatment: I've changed my mind. Tactlessly ask why your rank was moved down. If they can't give a strait answer, tell your senior advisor and make friends with another english teacher!

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
get over it ..teachers are biased (they're human) ...Do you think you can actually do something to change that?

buttonisgay

The most likely reason for students getting thier marks bumped up is because they are cock-sucking the teacher etc (not literally, but you cant be sure!) theres this one guy at my school and hes pretty much a dumbshit and knows nothing about everything and the teachers gives him information and answers cos he cant do it himself. its really pathetic, if i asked for information would they give it to me? hell no.

thats the way it is unfortunatly, oh and back on the topic who cares what other people get, its ur marks that affect you.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
buttonisgay said:
The most likely reason for students getting thier marks bumped up is because they are cock-sucking the teacher etc (not literally, but you cant be sure!) theres this one guy at my school and hes pretty much a dumbshit and knows nothing about everything and the teachers gives him information and answers cos he cant do it himself. its really pathetic, if i asked for information would they give it to me? hell no.

thats the way it is unfortunatly, oh and back on the topic who cares what other people get, its ur marks that affect you.
Yea there's always one of these people in every class or grade :D just live with it...

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Complain; don't think twice about it!

Ring the Board of Studies and ask to make a complaint; if they do nothing...ring the Education Office, next I'd speak to your school when you return and if they aren't willing to do anything; honestly...threaten to take them to the papers...some1 will respond, if they don't then actually write to the papers!

This is so wrong!

helper

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Papers are ALWAYS double-marked, regardless of a subject, and teachers have to agree if extra marks are awarded.
Don't know who told you that. In the HSC no short answer questions are double marked. One or two per 20 are check marked. This means none of the science papers are doubled marked. Same for a lot of the sections of the other subjects. Essay style questions or questions worth more than 8 marks are the only questions doubled marked.

Within schools it is up to the school to decidewhat is double mar
ked.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ and when they say essay questions are double marked, not all of them are. Sometimes when it gets towards the end of the marking time, and they arent finished, they double mark every 10th essay, and if there is an inconsistency between markers they go back. Sure they tell you they double mark all, but they dont, just ask any supervisor of marking if you happen to know one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)