Tax File number (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
how do u get that form, saying that u have applied for one, and can u do it within a day? and what if u cant? are u fuckered for life?

viviena

rawr.
HSC
I had the same dilemma just a few days ago... You'll have to get a form from the ATO site ( http://www.ato.gov.au/ml.asp?51 should work), print it out, and fill it in. Find your nearest ATO office (in some cases you'll need to make an appointment), visit them (bring more than one type of Proof of ID!) and they'll process your form, mailing you a TFN in around 28 working days -- probably not enough time for Enrolment Day, so when you visit them, make sure you get a receipt or a certificate saying that you applied for a TFN. The certificate should be fine for Enrolment Day... The ATO office hours are 8 to 5, I think, weekdays only.

In short, you can't get the TFN within a day, but you can get the application certificate within half an hour or so, if all your paperwork is correct. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
viviena said:
I had the same dilemma just a few days ago... You'll have to get a form from the ATO site ( http://www.ato.gov.au/ml.asp?51 should work), print it out, and fill it in. Find your nearest ATO office (in some cases you'll need to make an appointment), visit them (bring more than one type of Proof of ID!) and they'll process your form, mailing you a TFN in around 28 working days -- probably not enough time for Enrolment Day, so when you visit them, make sure you get a receipt or a certificate saying that you applied for a TFN. The certificate should be fine for Enrolment Day... The ATO office hours are 8 to 5, I think, weekdays only.

In short, you can't get the TFN within a day, but you can get the application certificate within half an hour or so, if all your paperwork is correct. :)
Took me about 5-10 minutes cause I made an appointment.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I didn't even book. Just rocked up and done within 15 minutes. Though I think it'd be a lot crowded now since lots of students would be applying.

DAAVE

HSC
Yeah I got my TFN ages ago but basically all i did was go into the office and fill in 1 form, showed some ID and then got a piece of paper saying 'blah blah has applied for a TFN'.

then u get the actual number mailed to u a few weeks after that.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
what do i do? i dont have time to get a tfn before thurday. i cant go today or tomorrow and wednesday is australia day. but i herard you have until march 31st to get it. thats what natstar said. does it work like this for all unis?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well you will need a TFN to defer your HECS.

I believe it is until March 31st to pay with the bonus I think you have to defer before then at enrolment.

I strongly suggest you find time to go in today or tomorrow. If you fill out the form and make an appointment you might be able to see them on the way in to enrolment (not 100% sure but I think they open at 8am).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
what do i do? i dont have time to get a tfn before thurday. i cant go today or tomorrow and wednesday is australia day. but i herard you have until march 31st to get it. thats what natstar said. does it work like this for all unis?
Either do what Xayma said or make some time...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i just wont have time to go before hand cause travelling to enrolment takes a while. ill just tell them i have booked an appointment.

i wish this was emphasised more in our school leavers information. i could have done it ages ago if i new it was needed. i shud have known though. hecs=tax which means i need a tfn :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
i just wont have time to go before hand cause travelling to enrolment takes a while. ill just tell them i have booked an appointment.

i wish this was emphasised more in our school leavers information. i could have done it ages ago if i new it was needed. i shud have known though. hecs=tax which means i need a tfn :(
Yeah it probably should have eh? I still don't have mine but I got the slip so it should be ok. Oh and I think there's an ATO on or near George St, so that might be feasible to visit before usyd assuming you're travelling to Central...

DAAVE

HSC
BTW guys if you have had or have a job then you should already have a TFN.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
If you're paying ur HECS up front on enrolement day, do u still need ur TFN??
You probably dont have to give it to them right away but you would have to eventually just in case one semester you dont pay up front

Z

Zeppelin

Oh, God, thank you so much @ topic creator! I had completely forgotten about this. Luckily I managed to book an appointment at the Parramatta ATO and got the form online. I have to work it in around a dental appointment and actual enrolment. I'm going to have a full day tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)