Tax, eh? ... Help me (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
OK as you may know, I work at Myer as an Xmas casual. This is my first ever job. I do have a TFN which I gave to Myer when I began pre-employment.

Now, on each of my payslips, tax is being deducted from my gross income. I am clearly not going to earn $6000 by June, but my employment terminates at the end of February. So how do I lodge a tax return to get the $300+ I've lost to the taxman?

Oh, and I joined the SDA. It says the SDA fees are tax-deductable. Do I need to worry about this, or will it not matter since I'm earning so little?

rantman

HSC
N/A
lodge a tax return after the end of this financial year, june 30, and the tax office will work out that you have paid too much tax. they will then issue you with a refund soon after. so dont worry, you will get your money back. SDA wont matter as long as you are under the $6000 tax threshold, which you say you are.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
you lodge your tax return at the same time as everyone else, at the end of the financial year with the tax form things.

the tax-deductable things doesn't matter as you don't pay tax in the first place.

Not 100% sure, took commerce in yr 9/10.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Even though you stop employment in feb the store will send you out your group certificate near tax time and you can use that to lodge your tax return. And yeah, if you dont earn over the 6 grand, then u won't get ur union fees back, cos you've got no tax to deduct them from.

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
babydoll_ said:
Oh, and I joined the SDA. It says the SDA fees are tax-deductable. Do I need to worry about this, or will it not matter since I'm earning so little?
you WILL NOT get your money back from the SDA! people always make this mistake, and think they can get all the money back. yes you can CLAIM it but you wont get anything back esp if you earn less than the $6000. You can get some money back but only if you earn heaps of money.

i was heaps confused too, cus i used to be part of it and i told my mom that i could get all the money back. she just looked at me crazy (she works with H+R BLOCK)

i bought a bigw shirt and the lady whom i bought it off said i could get money for washing it and get all teh $$$ that i paid for it. and my mom was like wtf! thats not true. its only applicable if you earn heaps of dough :( yes it does suck

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha get it back...

tax deductable != money in pocket.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
You will get most (maybe not all) of it back. Just lodge a return as usual at the end of the financial year.

However, If you get another job and earn alot of money, you will probably go over that $6k and not get any money back.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You still get money back over the 6K threshold, its a low income earners rebate thingy.

django_

HSC
ok now i have a Q...ive spend like 70$ on work shirts and skirts and stuff...can i claim that back? even though im only a casual?

Idyll

HSC
babydoll_ said:
Now, on each of my payslips, tax is being deducted from my gross income. I am clearly not going to earn $6000 by June, but my employment terminates at the end of February. So how do I lodge a tax return to get the $300+ I've lost to the taxman?
That's the really annoying thing about being a casual where your hours fluctuate. Normally, on a weekly basis, you earn a lot less than the threshold, but when it comes to christmas and your hours suddenly shoot up, you start having to pay tax, because they look at your payslip and say, "oh, you earn $300 this week, that means your going to earn $15600 this year. better deduct tax based on you earning $15600".

i'm just peeved that i have to wait 5 months to get my money back from the tax man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)