Tales Of The Otori (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
currently reading Grass For His Pillow. love the japanese culture thing with the samurai's and stuff.

scheah86

hi everyone

i recommend the sword of truth series by terry goodkind
excellent book doesnt go too descriptive into small details like wheel of time does. great characters and plot

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I recommend 'Across the Nightingale Floor' (by Lian Hearn)

(It also has the Otori clan in it, which is why I clicked here in the first place.)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
the 2nd book is out? when?

the first book was good .. pretty sad near the end..

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Grass for is Pillow is actually the second book in the trilogy (Nightingale floor is first one)

lengstar

HSC
yep, sword of truth is excellent series and brings up alot of moral questions

lengstar

HSC
reading Brillance of the Moon atm and its really good. does anyone do japanese history and has read the book? i'm wondering if it is loosely based on historical events or not

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well the Japanese culture may be good, but you'd see a lot more of it watching a documentary or watching an Akira Kurosawa movie, or reading some novels actually written by Japanese. Sorry, but Tales of the Otori is prosaic and cliche, unreadably bad :p

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i liked the books.
they were based on a fictional feudal japan, though with many historical elements, like the nightingale floors, some of the places (e.g. Hagi), the whole cliched samurai aspects etc..
I actually did a critical analysis of the first two books with two of Lian Hearn's (pseudonym for children's author Gillian Rubinstein) with 2 children's books for 4 unit english. I did a reader response theory thing. Meh it was crap.
but yeah... i liked the books a lot.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i borrowed the book (across the nightingale floor) to read, but i've been so busy i havent been able too >_<

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The books weren't bad. I've read all three by the way. At least it's better than Tom Cruise's atrocious movie.
I think they might be based loosely on real events.

I don't agree with all the Japanese beliefs, so these books were an interesting read.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
The books weren't bad. I've read all three by the way. At least it's better than Tom Cruise's atrocious movie.
I think they might be based loosely on real events.

I don't agree with all the Japanese beliefs, so these books were an interesting read.
I read Grass for his Pillow a while ago, and I found Nightingale Floor under my bed. I started reading it but it ditched after buying a book on modern China. I'll start on it again tonight. It is a bit cliche, but it's nice to dream about the serenity of feudal Japan when you live near Campbelltown.

Yeah last samurai was crap. It would of been alot cooler if the renegade samurai lopped off Cruise's head and raied it on a pike as soon as they saw him, and then have the movie continue ending with the samurai reinstating the Shogunate. That would of been cool.

What aspect of Japanese beliefs don't you agree with Enlightened One? I like Shinto, a little bit of Confucianism and a bit of Buddhism works well. Or is it samurai ethic you don't like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)