Talented Student Program Invitation (1 Viewer)

Nikja

HSC
I know it is probably too soon to really worry about it, but I was just wondering when people would be invited to do the TSP. I was offered a place in Advanced Science at USYD, and I definitely qualified for the TSP (ATAR of 99.60 + 8th (in state) in Bio + Band 6 in three sciences + E4 in Ext I and II Maths), and I read somewhere that the TSP offer was included as part of the UAC course offer.

Has anyone else been offered a place in the TSP/know when offers are sent out?

Thanks for the help.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
You'll prob get a letter some time before O-week.
Don't worry about it, with your marks, you're definitely in. If you don't et any letter or email or whatever by O-week, then just call them up and they'll fix it.

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
I got a letter yesterday (21st)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Yeah I was planning to. Do you know roughly what marks are needed? I got 99.55 and 96 in MX2.
I say you're in as long as you don't write stupid things on the application form for SSP maths (it happened to a friend of mine before lol).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd recommend just giving them a call if you don't receive a letter before O'Week. You'd definitely qualify and I'm sue you'd love it too.

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
Just out of curiosity, what were your marks/ATAR? I'm hoping to get in next year and everything I've read about the entry requirements is really vague.
The guy at info day said 99.00 ATAR + a band 6 in science OR 95 in 4u maths. And it can be lower if you have done international olympiad.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
The guy at info day said 99.00 ATAR + a band 6 in science OR 95 in 4u maths. And it can be lower if you have done international olympiad.
Hmmm okay. That's what it says on the USYD website as well, but the way it phrases it makes it sound like it's not set in stone, so to speak. Thanks anyway!

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I get the feeling they are trying to make it sound more exclusive.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Special Studies Program (which is different from the Science TSP) requires at least 95 in Extension 2 Maths. Sometimes they will lower their standards if not enough people do it.

Hmmm okay. That's what it says on the USYD website as well, but the way it phrases it makes it sound like it's not set in stone, so to speak. Thanks anyway!
Like above.

They are, but for a reason. You're actually with people who share similar interests, as opposed to most others who are just doing the compulsory Maths for First year Science degrees.

Nikja

HSC
I haven't received the letter yet, but we've generally gotten the mail later or not at all sometimes. I'll probably get it tomorrow. Hopefully.

How does being in the TSP affect units of study selection? Do they just go through all of that in O-week?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you do TSP in Semester 1, you will be doing MATH1906 instead of MATH1901.

MATH1901 = Differential Calculus

MATH1906 = Special Studies Program A

They do the exact same things except SSP has its own tutorial where you sit with fellow SSP'ers.

They cover the exact same material as MATH1901, except there are some extra lectures on top of what you already have.

These lectures cover various topics not usually taught until 2nd year or more (if taught in the Undergraduate course at all).

You will generally cover 3 topics per semester. Each topic has about 4 weeks of lectures and once you finish the topic, you receive an assignment to do at home.

Once you complete the assignment, you hand it in and you can get 'bonus' marks added to whatever you get from MATH1901. It may not be much, but when you're getting 90+ scores and fighting for every single mark, it really does make a difference.

Exact same for Semester 2, except you need a Credit average to get into Semester 2 SSP.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I can fully understand that, but surely they could be more forthcoming with information. It's even more vague at UNSW, it just says you might need "to achievee an ATAR exceeding the mid-90's".

Exact same for Semester 2, except you need a Credit average to get into Semester 2 SSP.
Credit average is 65%, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)