taking a year of (1 Viewer)

maaat

HSC
N/A
i was just wondering what peoples ideas about having a year of before going to uni were. i'm thinking about working six months and travelling six months. i'm not sure though. i don't know whether i will be motivated enough in a years time to go back. or whether it is a good thing to do or not.

thanks.

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
like you said, its difficult to go back to studies if you aren't motivated, especially if you catch the 'travel bug'.

having said that I went away for two months, came back to study and went overseas again.

helsie

HSC
aaawsum. that's hopefully what im gona do. uni can wait (if i get in, lol). where you planning on travelling to?

HSC
I think taking a year off will be great. After 10 months of work and a month overseas I will be so psyched to get back to uni. After all, I'm going to uni because I want to, not 'cause I have to.

Peartie

HSC
Im currently on a year off because I knew that there was no way that Id be able to go straight from school into Uni so i took a gap year which i think is really good....different people have different oopinions though and different options are better for different people.

nwatts

HSC
none of the friends of mine who have taken a year off uni to travel have regretted it. it's also meant they've experienced a bit of the world before settling down to study for the next 4 or 5 years. gives some perspective, which is a really great thing to have, especially in the particular courses i'm doing.

i partly regret not saving, taking the year off and study. i have found a great bunch of mates at uni, though, who i wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. that's the way it rolls though - i had no idea what to expect coming into it.

bustinjustin

HSC
maaat said:
i was just wondering what peoples ideas about having a year of before going to uni were. i'm thinking about working six months and travelling six months. i'm not sure though. i don't know whether i will be motivated enough in a years time to go back. or whether it is a good thing to do or not.

thanks.
One of my friends from uni just left to go to Canada. He was doing Economic and Social Sciences in the first semester, took the 2nd semester off, and next year he's transferring to COFA to do Design (he pretty much came to Sydney Uni just to get politics out of his system)

I personally worked and travelled as well, but I squashed this all into the 4 months after the HSC, and trust me, it was really hard to come back home and get stuck into uni. That said, I have no regrets, uni was a welcome change, and it's pretty relaxed too in terms of workload, nothing like Year 12 (unless you do science or engineering).

Moral of the story is, a year is a lot of time, there are other options such as the half gap year, and whether you take a gap year or not, either way the whole year will be a different, laidback experience. . The four months after the HSC is actually really long time, some people eve find themselves longing for uni to start for want of something to do. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the person, and what you wanna get out of a year off.

Some people who were considering a gap year but went straight to uni/tafe didn't regret it at all, because tertiary study was the change they needed. Others regret not taking some time off. In all seriousness, uni is a bit of a cinch (unless you're doing science, engineering, or even commerce).

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
hell if you want im sure you could travel/work for 6 months and maybe get into uni/etc midyear if that suits your fancy

ninipop

HSC
I have nearly finished my GAP year working at a boarding school in England. It has been the best year of my life - highly recommend it! I was able to travel in the holidays throughout europe, including an amazing topdeck tour for 32 days with 46 other gap students. Plus I have increased in confidence and independence that I would never have gained so quickly without the gap year.
It will be the best experience of your life, you will never get another opportunity like it again!

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL!!
I think taking a gap year is a great idea! It's a chance to mature and gain a new perspective on life. Definately worth while!!

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
fantastic! taking a year off sounds great to me. ya'll are talking about going to canada and england, i feel kinda loser-ish when i say i want2 g2 tasmania, i love that place :)

2rko

HSC
take a year off .. from personal experience its the best decision i made in a long time. You end up releasing a lot of stress, mature a hell of a lot and develop a lot of skills. I travelled for 7 months and am working till uni starts and let me tell you it doesnt make you go cold at all in fact theres more motivation. It gives you time to move on from high school kid to more of an adult if you get what i mean. I don't regret it at all.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I went straight from school to uni, and personally, after 3 years, I really regret not taking a year off and travelling. Its not so much about having a year off, but I look at my friends who travlled before they got stuck into it and I notice how much more confident they are, as well as seeming to have a bit more independence and direction than I feel I do. I'm going OS when I am finished (at the end of next year) but I wonder how it would have affected me if I had of done that when I first finished high school..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)