Taking a Japanese language unit? (1 Viewer)

SHLaK

HSC
Hi, I'm currently a first year student at Mac and have to choose at least one elective unit next semester. I'd really like to take a Japanese language unit, but just have a few questions before I make any decisions.

Firstly, my main concern is whether or not I'd be able to get a good grasp on the language considering I've had no prior experience in learning Japanese. What I'd like to do is take JPN117 - Everyday Conversational Japanese then go on to JPN110 - Introductory Japanese I and hopefully further. I'd just like to know, are these units difficult? As it's certainly a unit of personal interest, but I don't want to struggle to make the grades.

My other preference for the elective is MKTG101 - Marketing Fundamentals.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you. :)

Peartie

HSC
most language units offer the beginner beginner courses 1st semester only - 2nd semester are then continuations so id look at that first...

and both these are only offered first semester meaning MKTG is the only one of those options available to you 2nd semester...

SHLaK

HSC
Gah, I should've seen that in the handbook. I guess I'll just take a lanuage unit next year.

Thanks a lot, Peartie.

Peartie

HSC
was that means as thanks a lot

or as thanks :S

But yea - sorry about doing that, they do that so that you do it in sequential manner - it makes sense but it it darn annoying because a subjet i wanted to do was only available in first semester however I couldnt do it then so I had to choose something else (this was first year :( )

SHLaK

HSC
Oh, don't be sorry. I certainly didn't mean it in any kind of sarcastic way. I was just saying thanks for your reply. Next time I'll phrase my thanks so it won't be taken that way. Haha :)

You were very helpful as I completely overlooked the times offered and I'm happy enough just to do a language unit next year as I should have slightly less of a work load.

rhia

salty
HSC
the website is a bit confusing, but you apparently need to already have completed or be simultaneously studying jpn 110 to be able to do 117.

110 will have speaking elements that would be similar to the content of 117 that you will do in the practical i assume.

110 is an introductory course for people with no prior knowledge of the language. i would say that it's not hard, but of course, that's subjective. for people with no disposition for language learning or who are lazy will find it hard. those who aren't lazy and are good at languages won't.

X

xeuyrawp

Conversational French, eg, is in second semester as they don't want a big break between it and the formal Intro to French unit. That makes much more sense to me... *shrug*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)