t cells? (1 Viewer)

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
hey people. does anyone know any good places where i can get good information on all the t-cells and b-cells. They're really hard to remember and actually understand. So can anyone post anything up here? Thanks.

Cade

HSC
hope this helps...
Similarities:
1.T-cells and B-cells are part of lymphocytes in the specific immune response in third line of defense.
2.Both are systhesize in bone marrow.
3.Both are into memory cells
4.Most important feature is their specificity.
Differences:
T-cells
1. Made up of 3 types: a)Helper T-cells
b) Cytotoxic/Killer T cells
c)Suppresor T-cells
2.Produce toxic substances that destroy cells that have been invaded by virus.
3.Help B-cells to divide rapidly
4.Mature and develope in thymus gland.
5.Would remain in thymus till come in contact with antigen

B-cells
1.When recognizes antigen, divides repeatedly to produce a mass of identical cells(clones) that works as antibody producers(plasma cell)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi Cade. I agree most of the information there.

There are a few things you need to take note of:

1. I'm sure some textbook would tell you supressor T cell exit. In the last 30 year there has been a major debate over the existance of these supressor T cells, and we don't knwo whether they really exist or not.

2. Remember, only the cytotoxic T cell from the three cells you have mention actually "produce toxic substances that destroy cells that have been invaded by virus."

3. T cells also help B cells to recoginse antigen.

4. You said "T cells would remain in thymus till come in contact with antigen"

This is incorrect. T cells mature and gain their receptor specificity in the thymus. After selection, they leave the thymus and circulate around the body. They make contact with antigen in the lymph nodes, not in the thymus.

HSC
yea dont the t cells work in coordination with the B cells.

T- cells are able to present part of the antigen on the body (surface) of the t cell to B cells which in stimulates the production of antibodies hence memory cells against this particular antigen (foreign particle)...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes they do. You are correct lil_georgi_gal.

The T cells have surface structures known as Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC). These MHCs are responsible to "present" foreign peptide to the B cell receptor. Subquently, the B cell gets activated and clonal expansion occurs to generate many B cells with identical receptor specificity. This is how you get specificity on your antibodies.

Memory cells are also produced but how this occurs is elusive.

Cade

HSC
oh i see. thanks for correcting me.at least i made a mistake here and not in the exam. lolz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)