T cells (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
Hi ppl,

the dot point - range of t lymphocytes and the difference in their roles,

i have just learnt about - helper t cells, memory t cells, cytotoxix killer t cells and supressor t cells. do we have to learn about the other types of t cells like hyper sensitivity?

nesstar

helper, cytotoxic, suppressor and memory are the main ones...my teacher said not to worry too much about the others...I'd say just knowing that there ARE others and maybe their names would be more than enough

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
With suppressor T cells comes apmplifiers, also natural killer T cells are good to know

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
No.
You only to know the 4 and a brief description of what they do, i.e:
Helper T-Cells: Secrete chemicals that stimulate the cloning of B and T Cells.
Killer T-Cells: Attack and destroy macrophages that have engulfed antigens.
Memory T-Cells: Remain in the body and reactivate quickly upon re-infection. They aid the immune response against the specific antigen.
Suppresor T-Cells: Stop the immune response when the antigen is destroyed.

nesstar

I agree that u probably only need those 4 and not in too much detail, but u also should know a little more about the helper and the cytotoxic T cells as part of some of the other dot pts. The helper t cells interact with the B cells and antigens etc.....the cytotoxic/killer t cells destroy virus-infected cells etc......

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1) T Cells destroy pathogens by releasing the enzyme perforin, which perforates the cell membranes of invading pathogens and causes pathogenic cells to lyse (burst) because water, interstitial fluid etc. rushes into the pathogen.

2) If you really want to get techy, antibodies destroy pathogens by:

- Neutralisation: Blocking viral binding sites and coating bacteria.

- Agglutination (ie: antigens binding together which causes pathogens to clump, and then they are cleaned up by phagocytes and friends)

- Precipitation: Some antigens are soluble when combined with antigens which forms a precipitate which is cleaned up by the phags again.

- Complement: Which is using a complementary protein to cause pathogenic cells to lyse.

How fun, I could sit here forever :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)