cheers

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
half baked said:
careful with the spelling
its ethenylbenzene
You read CC. :eek:

There was a long debate about this, and I'm convinced that it's benzylethene. Remember how these things are named. If you have one hydrogen atom of ethene replaced with a chlorine atom, then it becomes chloroethene. Similarly, if you have one hydrogen atom replaced with a benzene ring, it becomes benzylethene. Makes sense.

If you're interested, the debate is here.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My chem teacher said both are acceptable, but not accepted by everyone, lol.

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
i reckon its ethenylbenzene, thats wat my tutor said

Abtari

HSC
ok ive seen the following from diff sources:

ethenylbenzene
phenylethene

personally i would put ethenylbenzene since that is wot the BOS seems to think of as the right answer...

Abtari

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:

There was a long debate about this, and I'm convinced that it's benzylethene. Remember how these things are named. If you have one hydrogen atom of ethene replaced with a chlorine atom, then it becomes chloroethene. Similarly, if you have one hydrogen atom replaced with a benzene ring, it becomes benzylethene. Makes sense.

not everything in chemistry is supposed to make sense ..lol :p

Captain pi

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:

Why read a long debate when IUPAC sums it up in 94 pages. :)p)

Just joking! If you look on page four it says that ethenylbenzene is indeed the systematic name of styrene. Sorry Dreamerish*~! Good luck on Wednesday! You have done some excellent charity on here. :) Your boyfriend ought to be proud.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Captain pi said:
Why read a long debate when IUPAC sums it up in 94 pages. :)p)

Just joking! If you look on page four it says that ethenylbenzene is indeed the systematic name of styrene. Sorry Dreamerish*~! Good luck on Wednesday! You have done some excellent charity on here. :) Your boyfriend ought to be proud.
Gosh, talk about misinformed teachers.

Every single teacher I've talked to said that benzylethene is the correct systematic name.

Oh look, phenylethene is also accepted! I'm so glad my beloved Conquering Chem is right after all. *Hugs textbook*

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:

...wtf. i was supporting the benzylethene and phenylethene in that debate u were on the evil side. but now u coming over to the good side?...but i being dragged into the evil side...

phenyl ethene is correct, but its a bit general, no refering to specific benzene ring but to all ring formats. ...now i am a believer of ethenylbenzene

SmileyCam

HSC
It's both, check wiki

"Styrene (also vinyl benzene, ethenylbenzene, phenethylene, cinnamene, diarex HF 77, styrolene, styrol, styropol)"

Haku

wanton-wonton said:
What?!?!

Isn't it just Phenylethene???

What the f....
phenylethene is also good, but phenyl is a group. like the ring group.

so its also fine if the digram did not specify the ring to be benzene

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)