system/contingency (1 Viewer)

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
what is the difference between these two theories? .. actually what are they exactly? .. i just have the impretion dat systems is using a varity of theories while contingency is the ability to adapt to change ... so also wats the strengths and weaknesses of each theory?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Systems Theory
- Earliest in the 1930’s but not accepted till the 60’s
- Business viewed as a system:
Inputs – raw materials, HR, capital etc
Process – work activities, management activities, production etc
Output – final products/services, financial results etc
- The success of a business is dependant on how it interacts with its environment (internal/external)

Contingency Theory
- Suggests that no one theory always applies to a business or situation
- Business face ever changing contingencies and thus react differently to each
- Management must be ever-aware of environmental changes and adopt adequate contingencies to maintain productivity and competitive advantage.

Adapting Management and Organisational approaches to circumstances Main circumstances that require adapting to:
- Size of business – a growing business requires an evolving approach to coordinating it
- Routine of Tasks – management must change according to staticty/dynamicity of tasks performed
- Environment – uncertainty affects management (Political, technological, economic and social sources of uncertainty)
- Difference in Individuals – this impacts the approach to communication, leading and motivating workers by management

the strengths and weaknesses of each theory are not required for systems and contingency according to the syllabus
only classic scientific, behavioural and political :)

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
Ah good .. so basically systems in just treating the business as a system, while contingency is using a varity of theories and changing to the environment...

Alrite, also ... are u the dude dat I met at blacktown library a while ago? .. remember the lecture at webster library before the trials?.. hmmz yeah ..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
sk8ie_boi said:
Ah good .. so basically systems in just treating the business as a system, while contingency is using a varity of theories and changing to the environment...

Alrite, also ... are u the dude dat I met at blacktown library a while ago? .. remember the lecture at webster library before the trials?.. hmmz yeah ..
lol am I?
haha how random.
Yeah I went to that
Yeah prob...

Smartieco

HSC
systems = contingency

arent they the same thing.....

systems approch was developed in the 1960-1970, it was contingent...blah blah

;/

ScottyTee

HSC
Smartieco said:
systems = contingency

arent they the same thing.....

systems approch was developed in the 1960-1970, it was contingent...blah blah

;/
Systems and contingency are usually used in parallel with eachother however they are not the same method.

irnirn

HSC
contingency theory states that a business should be flexible and adoptive to internal/external changes. while Systems theory means that all components of a business act together to achieve a common goal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)